Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: courses  (Read 3590 times)

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
courses
« on: July 05, 2014, 08:38:47 am »
so where do you begin in finding training courses for bee keeping? ae they distance learning or hands-on?
thanks

sss

• Joined Mar 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
Re: courses
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2014, 10:38:30 am »
Generally if you find your local british beekeepers association group. They will run courses. Usually they start in the winter with the theory and then should allow hands on at the start of the season.

Some courses run a system where the student gets a loan hive to run for the first year, if they love it they can buy it and keep going, or they can give it back at the end of the season if its not for them.

Different groups run in differing ways.

There are some 'independents' that run courses from their apiaries.

I started mid season and my association at the time put me in contact with a mentor and I helped him until the course started in the winter.  As I work shifts I was unable to attend every session, but they allowed me to catch up when I was unable to attend one week.

Check around some are better than others.

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2014, 04:43:05 pm »
I learned at the local agricultural college, evening classes in the winter, then looked at the college hives from Spring onwards.  Great hobby but quite expensive to set up, and too much for a bad back!

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2014, 04:52:31 pm »
I agree with SSS. Most bee keeping clubs will run courses in the winter. Ours does a 6 weeks course for about £35 so its good value for money.
They also sell nucs in the spring at a cheaper rate for new comers. It can be expensive to start but like most things, after the initial outlay, its not too expensive. 
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 10:38:21 pm »
Look out at local agricultural shows too. I picked up a flyer at the Kent Show two years ago which led to my course (which was in August/September time - perfect for lots of hands on practise because the weather was so much better than spring). My teacher also sells equipment (has just opened a 'shop') and nucs so I've got everything through him which has also guaranteed he's been on hand to advise.

H

ZacB

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Suffolk
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 07:34:21 am »
Find your local association via the bbka website & enquirer with them

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 12:25:26 pm »
thankyou  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS