Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lyme Disease......?  (Read 13800 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Lyme Disease......?
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2014, 11:10:26 am »
I still can't believe how many people are still using tweezers to get the tick out,
its the pressure on the ticks body that makes it vomit into your body, causing the lymes,

the tic-o-tool has got to be a, must have in the countryside medical bag surly

Good reminder, thanks.  My sons and grandchildren are off camping next week in the wilds so I'll lend them my tic remover.  Never had to use it myself as we don't have tics here, but when we used to do the camping thing we picked them up frequently. Back then we used a glowing cigarette to make them let go and reverse out backwards - if we could find a smoker - but I don't know if that's any better than pulling them out with tweezers.  I did get a horrible abscess once from a tic - no fun.  Hence the removal tool.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2014, 12:09:22 pm »
I still can't believe how many people are still using tweezers to get the tick out,
its the pressure on the ticks body that makes it vomit into your body, causing the lymes,

the tic-o-tool has got to be a, must have in the countryside medical bag surly

the tick itself has to be infected to get the disease, which is usually deer ticks of which we have loads up here. I didn't even notice I had the tick so either it dropped off or I scratched it off but that would have more than likely left the head in tact of which there was no trace.
I remove my ticks (if I find them) with my nails, gripping each side as close to the body as possible and gently pull and twist and this has never in itself caused the Lyme Disease. Using tweezers can cause the head to break off so would never recommend them.
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2014, 01:23:05 pm »

That's how the tick removal thingy works too, for those without enough finger nail to grasp the tic  :thumbsup:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2014, 01:28:02 pm »
As I understand it, it is essential to not squeeze the body at all and be very very quick.  If the tick is pressed, or thinks you are about to pull it off, it regurgitates - and that's how the spirochaetes get into your bloodstream. 

So to do it safely with fingernails you have to have non-fleshy fingers so that you don't squeeze the body as you 'unscrew' it!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2014, 01:49:15 pm »
There's some great video on YouTube of how to remove a tick with your fingers by wiggling it round and round, kind of mesmerising it out!  It works too - they come out whole.  Then you squish them (rubber gloves on!).

Ooh - shudder.  Horrible things.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2014, 09:34:30 pm »
throw them in the fire, very satisfying 'pop' when they explode  ;D

10 months of the year i have suitable nails apart from lambing/kidding time when i cut them down just incase i need to intervene
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
  • WARNING,,,MAY SAY WHAT HE BELIEVES
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2014, 08:06:07 am »
 ;D the tool only costs a fiver and you get two..1 big 1 small

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2014, 12:49:01 am »
thats a bonus of living in the country and having rural doctors I suppose, they take these things seriously but apparently the palpatations I had last night might not be connected to the Lyme disease so talking about doing a heart trace on me next...oh the joys!

If you have animals get them checked and treated for tic's as well they might be the vector / carriers.
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2014, 12:59:23 am »
IF??????..............ha ha  :roflanim: you'd be quicker asking me what animals I don't have

They all get treated for ticks etc as its the deer ticks up here which are the carriers. I get more ticks than the animals do but then I spend a lot of time just sitting in the grass with my herd  :goat: :pig: :sheep: :chook: :cat: :dog: and until they license spot on for humans looks like I'm screwed.

anyway, since taking the AB's (doxycycline) my tongue has gone black  :o but at least I have a bit more energy and the rash has gone down.

Treud na Mara

• Joined Mar 2014
  • East Clyh, Caithness
  • Living the dream in Caithness
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2014, 10:49:21 am »
Now there's a brilliant idea - Spot On for humans - I'd volunteer to test it  ;) do you think we could get a grant for the research ?
With 1 Angora and now 6 pygmy goats, Jacob & Icelandic sheep, chooks, a cat and my very own Duracell bunny aka BH !

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2014, 11:06:51 am »
don't see why not, you can get grants for all kinds of useless stuff, we could save the NHS a fortune in AB's etc if we nailed this one  :innocent:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2014, 11:36:48 am »
 :idea: That's actually a good thought TnM
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2014, 08:32:13 pm »
Sign me up for the research ;D , I hate the ruddy things and I am always finding them on me :o .  It's when you feel that creeping sensation...aagh! :P

Treud na Mara

• Joined Mar 2014
  • East Clyh, Caithness
  • Living the dream in Caithness
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2014, 09:41:46 pm »
The $64,000 question is....would it stop midges biting too ?  Now that would be something!
With 1 Angora and now 6 pygmy goats, Jacob & Icelandic sheep, chooks, a cat and my very own Duracell bunny aka BH !

Cluckinggoodpoultry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2014, 01:15:15 pm »
I use neat tea tree to remove them works a treat, that's a bit like a spot on, they hate it and withdraw  :)

Midges avon skin so soft the blue one  ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS