Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lyme Disease......?  (Read 13799 times)

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
Lyme Disease......?
« on: July 03, 2014, 11:14:41 am »
Anyone had it?

I have a bite mark on the outside of my knee which was really itchy a couple of days ago and now its developed a bruise around it and its tender to touch. Got an appointment with the GP today just to get it checked out.
I felt really strange last night when I went to bed, when I lay on my side I felt breathless but on my back was fine  ???

I've had hundreds of ticks before but never had a reaction like this, if it was a tick, I never found one at the time.
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Lyme Disease......?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 11:19:46 am »
Someone recently posted some pics on Facebook of classic lyme disease bullseye lesions.

I'm sure they won't mind me reproducing one here:

Look here for the others.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 11:33:40 am »
yep that looks like it except my bruise around it is darker, would take a pic but will spare you a pic of my milk bottle white leg at this time of day  :innocent:
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Treud na Mara

• Joined Mar 2014
  • East Clyh, Caithness
  • Living the dream in Caithness
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 12:22:30 pm »
AB course, and make sure you complete it, should do the trick otherwise you could have months of illness!
I know you know about the completing the course thing but it really does matter. Lyme disease is a very nasty complaint.
With 1 Angora and now 6 pygmy goats, Jacob & Icelandic sheep, chooks, a cat and my very own Duracell bunny aka BH !

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 01:33:43 pm »
Looks nasty. Glad you have GP appointment quickly.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2014, 04:29:41 pm »
ah well I've answered my own original question....I HAVE IT.....

2 week course of antibiotics and then we'll see if I present any other symptoms  :fc:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2014, 04:36:35 pm »
 :fc:  the antibiotics do the trick
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2014, 04:38:29 pm »
Ticks - horrid :P

I'm glad your doc took it seriously and you're on the antiBs straight away  :thumbsup:

"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2014, 04:49:10 pm »
thats a bonus of living in the country and having rural doctors I suppose, they take these things seriously but apparently the palpatations I had last night might not be connected to the Lyme disease so talking about doing a heart trace on me next...oh the joys!

midtown

• Joined Oct 2013
  • English Lake District
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2014, 05:02:06 pm »
Fast identification and antibiotics. :thumbsup:
A good source of information can be found here; http://www.lymediseaseaction.org.uk/ and, if you've got a GP who won't acknowledge your concerns following a tick bite, it's worth shoving the website reference under their nose or, take yourself off to the nearest A & E department!

I urge everyone on this forum to take part in the HPA Tick Recording Scheme; http://www.hpa.org.uk/Topics/InfectiousDiseases/InfectionsAZ/Ticks/TickRecordingScheme/
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.  ~Douglas Adams

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Two Retirees Start a New Life in Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2014, 05:10:03 pm »
ah well I've answered my own original question....I HAVE IT.....

2 week course of antibiotics and then we'll see if I present any other symptoms  :fc:

A course of antibiotics may be a wise precaution but a similar rash is not conclusive evidence of Lyme's disease.

see

http://www.lymediseaseaction.org.uk/about-lyme/faq/

There is a photo (Hopefully) of a rash I got below which was suspected of being Lymes disease (but was not). The whole complex story is on this very good forum about Lyme's disease

http://www.lymeneteurope.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5019
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 05:17:01 pm by henchard »

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2014, 05:53:56 pm »
fascinating info

but as they say, even with blood tests they can't definitively diagnosis Lyme etc  ???

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2014, 05:59:05 pm »
It's clearly worth treating as Lyme Disease if it might be, rather than not treating it because there's no definitive diagnosis.

Well done for getting to the doc quickly, and well done Doc for take prompt appropriate action  :thumbsup:

Fingers crossed it isn't, or that the a/b's do the trick  :fc:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2014, 06:19:09 pm »
I did read recently that some are recommending longer course of abs (1 month) ....  Worth researching as lymes effects last years not months. Have a few friends with it.

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
  • WARNING,,,MAY SAY WHAT HE BELIEVES
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2014, 08:14:00 am »
I still can't believe how many people are still using tweezers to get the tick out,
its the pressure on the ticks body that makes it vomit into your body, causing the lymes,

the tic-o-tool has got to be a, must have in the countryside medical bag surly

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS