Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: bloated lamb  (Read 7857 times)

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
bloated lamb
« on: July 02, 2014, 09:22:14 pm »
Found her in the field on her side.  I thought she was dead but she got up.  I've given her a mixture of bicarb, mineral oil and water and she started farting and gurgling.  I've walked her around for a little while and she's now in a horse box with water and hay.

She is normally on Ewe Nuts but didn't get them this week and got pasture mix.  They are on good pasture and I think I've overdone it. 

Can I do anything else?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: bloated lamb
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 09:43:13 pm »
If the distended flank has reduced a day or so on hay and water should do it, I would just check on her last thing for the night and if s/he is still uncomfortable give some more bicarb and massage a bit more.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 10:24:52 pm »
Good job, I'm sure she feels much more comfortable.   Is the lamb with mum or a pet lamb, maybe worth rationing her grass/grazing so shes not filling up with everything. 

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 10:30:03 pm »
she's a hand reared who went out in the field about 4 weeks ago... rationing grazing I think.  She is in a horsebox and standing up eating hay.  She is still a bit bloated but I don't have a tube to stomach tube her....

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 10:35:02 pm »
Like Anke says, massage her, keep her with hay and water and maybe with pal and keep an eye, no need to tube her
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 10:45:47 am by Hellybee »

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2014, 09:52:18 am »
If she's farting and gurgling she should be okay without tubing.

How's she doing this morning?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2014, 10:41:56 am »
As well as circular massage, if you get them to run around that helps them fart/burp it out too.  Chase them about if necessary (being cruel to be kind :)).

Young Ed

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2014, 03:25:52 pm »
if there is too much grass? then i would run a topper or some sort of mower other it to help avoid bloat in other lambs and/or ewes. if you don't have a mower simply try stocking that pasture a bit heavier and if you don't have any more sheep then try putting a fence across the pasture to make the accessible area smaller?

may i ask what mixture of bicarb, water and mineral oil you used, so what amounts of each?
Cheers Ed

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2014, 04:24:33 pm »
If you top the grass I would keep them off of it because fresh cut grass will cause bloat quicker than anything. Understocking shouldn't be an issue, just means they will probably be slightly pickier what they eat, if it is very good pasture can you section it off and graze smaller amounts at a time?

If you've introduced grass slowly then at 4 weeks they shouldn't get bloat, the rumen will have developed by then, what is in the pasture mix, does it contain rolled barley? If they are on good grass I can't see the need to feed anything except a little to keep them tame, my hand reared lambs are all out on good grass and definitely don't need any cake.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2014, 04:50:33 pm »
I never give creep to lambs unless their dam dies!  One of the main benefits of native breed sheep is that they grow on milk and grass. 

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2014, 07:39:15 pm »
I have put the lamb with the others in a very small paddock with just hay.  She is a little bloated still but okay.  I gave her a cup of bicarb with three quarters of warm water and 1/4 cup of oil.  She started gurgling.  I did walk her... and paniced later because it said not to stress them!  I will cut the paddock into two and keep them on the front for a couple of days.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2014, 08:38:15 pm »
Are you able to tube her? It really helped my lamb when it had bloat... he still died but the tubing was a definite instant release.

Creep is fine for lambs, it's a necessity for tame lambs however it's just getting the balance between grass creep and milk, all fine on their own but can be a bit of a nightmare with developing rumen and mixed together at that crucial time. I only introduce grass once my tame lambs are weaned and only then in the afternoons for the first few days and build up from there, and wean off milk abruptly at 5-6 weeks as this is when their creep intake increases dramatically. Only lost 1 this year a day before she was weaned at 5 weeks, a day too late in her case but have 17 out in the field happy and healthy.

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2014, 05:42:47 pm »
I've still got her in a very small paddock with a couple of others.  She has a little lump of bloat but nowhere near as bad.  I was advised not to tube (and I don't have a tube) in case I went into her lungs instead.

Minded to give her more bicarb and hope? 

She is fine in herself and eating the hay and up and around.

When will I know if she is out of the woods?
 ???

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2014, 05:58:48 pm »
When will I know if she is out of the woods?
 ???

When you see nice healthy poos :)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2014, 09:09:37 pm »
she has nice healthy poos  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS