Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Greetings for Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk  (Read 5670 times)

happyharry

• Joined Jun 2014
Greetings for Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk
« on: July 01, 2014, 01:12:51 pm »
Hi All
Ken Jordan here. Have recently bought a couple of acres adjoin an already large garden so thought it time to get involved with this site.
Have grown a wide range of veg and fruit (soft and hard) for over 40 years - all on an organic basis. Fair to say that we're 90% self sufficient for veg. Fruit is restricted to the season, and how much space is left in the two freezers ! As well as dessert and culinary apples & pears, I also have 12 cider apple trees and a cider mill and press.
Five Maran X hens provide eggs a'plenty
The newly acquired land has been used to accommodate a ground source heating system which was completed last autumn and has proved very successful in reducing our fuel bills and providing a warmer house.
The land is now occupied by 2 breeding Berkshire sows, one who currently has 8 weaners (available for purchase). The pigs are clearing the land of nettles and thistles and I'm then re-seeding with a clover/grass mixture behind them. A few sheep are planned next spring. I've also sown a wild flower meadow (Spring 2014) which is now getting established so may be looking at bees next year.
Loving it - wish I'd have done so years ago

Trixie

• Joined Mar 2014
  • Lincolnshire
Re: Greetings for Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 08:49:00 pm »
 :wave: Hello and welcome from Lincolnshire.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 10:55:40 pm »
 :wave: and welcome from sunny Shropshire. You'll soon think a couple of acres is not enough and be looking to buy more.  ;D

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 07:34:31 am »
Hello and welcome from  :sunshine: Carnoustie :wave:

Sounds like a really tidy set-up you've got there  :thumbsup:

Treud na Mara

• Joined Mar 2014
  • East Clyh, Caithness
  • Living the dream in Caithness
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 12:28:52 pm »
 :wave: from Caithness sounds very impressive ! Welcome.  :wave:
With 1 Angora and now 6 pygmy goats, Jacob & Icelandic sheep, chooks, a cat and my very own Duracell bunny aka BH !

Bigdreams

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Devon
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 02:58:40 pm »
How do from West Sussex  :wave: Sounds amazing!
Dreaming big

honeyend

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 12:43:45 am »
I live near Ely and I am a fair weather farmer. :excited: Thinking of getting sheep but have not got any further. Had Berkshires last year but now I have a freezer full of pork no one wants to eat.
 We are building a house and are going for a air source pump.

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2014, 10:37:55 pm »
Hello and welcome from a surprisingly warm and sunny Somerset. (None of those storms that were forecast have happened yet.)

How do you get your pigs to clear the nettles? I have two Oxford Sandy and Blacks who are meant to be clearing two very small patches of nettles in their very large enclosure. I spend more time dealing with them than the pigs do. They seem to be more interested in turning over their (cast iron) feed trough than rooting out a few nettles. ::)

ZacB

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Suffolk
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2014, 08:19:15 am »
Hi HappyHarry, Bury St.Edmunds lovely part of the world. A link for bee keeping in the area http://www.suffolkbeekeepers.co.uk
West Suffolk Beekeepers are based in Bury and they have an apiary in Nowton Park, open every fortnight. Suits can be borrowed to allow potential future beekeepers an insight to what it's all about.

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2014, 11:10:58 am »
welcome have a happey sunday

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2014, 10:10:00 am »
Welcome - we're just down the A14 from you, north of Cambridge. If you have the misfortune to end up in the West Suffolk hospital this year you may have the good fortune to be treated by my good lady wife who is going back to work as a medical SHO after six years off bringing up our kids!

sss

• Joined Mar 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2014, 06:49:28 pm »
Hello from just across the border in Cambs

LouiseG

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Appleby-in-Westmorland
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2014, 09:28:45 pm »
Hi and welcome from Lawshall just south of Bury.  :wave:
So many ideas, not enough hours

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS