Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: what a stink  (Read 2797 times)

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
what a stink
« on: June 30, 2014, 09:09:31 pm »
we got a load of beewax sheets for the kids to make candles for their teachers, we have made them a few times in the past - same company (thornes) and they have always smelled nice. except this time they really stink of smoke, even after a week of airing! quite a ghastly smell actually, not sure how welcome a present this candles will be !!

so i was wondering if this was common? and is this what a hive smells of in general? iv no experience of bees but hope to get some one day. surely all hives get smoked to assist with emptying them of honey etc or is some smoke stronger than others?
just curious

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
Re: what a stink
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 12:47:27 am »
I'd get on the phone to Thornes and tell them the foundation smells strongly of smoke instead of the usual heady fragrance that they normally smell of & ask for replacements.

The smell is not down to you is it ?  ..ie it's old ('ish) stuff you have had for a few months and you have a log burner that makes the place smell of wood smoke .

There is no way your foundation should smell of anything other than clean bees wax and flower fragrances .

What colour is the wax?  Yellowish , white or a light brown sugar colour ?
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 07:19:54 am »
we just bought it ready to hand out on friday....
its a natural yellow colour, maybe a darker shade than normal.
when we bought them before they smelt lovely. £20 for 20 sheets so not cheap  ::)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 08:01:04 am »
Shy girl, that's definitely not right. We smoke our bees and even after that the hives do not smell strongly of smoke.
The wax is all cleaned anyway so I am not sure what could have gone wrong here. I would definitely get in touch with Thornes and let them know.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 11:39:17 pm »
Yep, sounds odd. The smoke doesn't hang around. I love the smell of fresh foundation!

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2014, 09:14:47 am »
Sounds odd to me too. I've got a room in an outbuilding almost full of beekeeping stuff, old and new, and not a whiff of smoke.

Contact Thornes, offer to send a sheet back if necessary.

And do let us know what they say, and the outcome.

:bee:

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2014, 07:37:48 pm »
iv emailed thornes, but no response as yet. wev already rolled the candles, as we were hoping the smell might go but unfortunately it hasnt, and they are due to be handed out the morn as gifts for end of school. they usually smell so nice so we havent decided what to do yet as the first thing people do is smell a candle...
they are no bother to actually use, as we tested one, though did notice the flame had black smoke and couldnt remember if this was normal. the wick was the correct thickness.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS