Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello!  (Read 4292 times)

Baois Glas

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Ireland
Hello!
« on: June 30, 2014, 03:18:23 pm »
Hello everyone! I registered on this site a while ago but can't remember my login details and have changed my email address so thought I would register again with a new name now we finally have our smallholding!

A couple of months ago we moved to Ireland and are now the proud owners of a 30 acre farm, it's not had much done with it in recent years and is all a bit over run by reeds/rushes, but you can tell it used to be a well loved farm and we have been told it had lovely grass on it, so we are hoping we can bring it back to it's former glory!

We can't wait to have chickens again and are looking into having goats as well, once all the paper work is sorted out. I'm sure there will be plenty of questions from us as well!

Nice to meet you all   :wave:
How many acres how much light
Tucked in the woods and out of sight
Talk to the neighbours and tip my cap
On a little road barely on the map

Brandi

• Joined Oct 2012
Re: Hello!
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 07:49:22 pm »
 :wave:Welcome, you will soon feel very much at home. Out of interest Is your reference name associated with your smallholding / location?

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 07:53:33 pm »
Hello and welcome  :wave:

Good luck with rejuvenating the grassland - don't rely on goats though. They prefer to browse rather than graze - cattle and sheep are better  :)

Treud na Mara

• Joined Mar 2014
  • East Clyh, Caithness
  • Living the dream in Caithness
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 09:04:44 pm »
 :wave: welcome from Caithness - good luck with the reshes, as folk here call them. We are experimenting with baling ours to use as bedding for our animals. Will let you know how it goes  ;) lots of useful information here too though!
With 1 Angora and now 6 pygmy goats, Jacob & Icelandic sheep, chooks, a cat and my very own Duracell bunny aka BH !

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 10:42:40 pm »
 :wave: and welcome from sunny Shropshire. Goats are good. True they are not grazers but I'm sure that on 30 acres they will find enough to keep them happy.

Baois Glas

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Ireland
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 11:32:49 am »
Thanks for the welcome all  :thumbsup:

It's a lovely sunny day in Ireland today!  :sunshine: 

I've got 5 horses as well which I am relying on to get the reeds/rushes down over winter, they are already taking the tops off some of them and eating down the smaller ones, so I'm hopeful.

We have a small paddock that we will be using for the goats, chickens and veggie patch which is full of reeds, got the strimmer on a little bit of it and will hopefully get some of it trimmed down, although it will be a big job.

Baois Glas is the name of our farm  ;D
How many acres how much light
Tucked in the woods and out of sight
Talk to the neighbours and tip my cap
On a little road barely on the map

Bigdreams

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Devon
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2014, 03:00:36 pm »
 :wave: How do  :wave: I can't even imagine 30 acres, must be stunning!
Dreaming big

ponylady

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2014, 03:46:36 pm »
Hello  :wave: I am new on here too. I am on the Pevensey Marsh and have masses of rushes and reeds, which the ponies like to eat. We are on a 3 yearly dredging rota, done free of charge by the lovely people from the Environment Agency, which deals with the reeds for a while.  My New Forest pony was born by water, and has lived next to water all her life, last year over stretched and fell not the ditch. We had the lovely Animal Rescue people out from the Fire Brigade to help her out of the ditch ... and as I know a lot of the local fire people, it cost me a bit in beers and biscuits ..... Btw, the pony was fine .

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS