Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: So sad...  (Read 5330 times)

HappyHippy

So sad...
« on: June 29, 2014, 11:08:59 pm »
My two wee coo's are off to the abattoir tomorrow  :'(
Jack and Molly are pedigree Shetlands and were the first cows I've had that were 'mine' (dad had 100 head of suckler cattle when I was wee, so have been round them all my life - but never owned any  ;) ) Jack had been abandoned by his mum at birth, bottle reared and as a result thought of himself as an overgrown Labrador  :innocent: You could shout him, he'd answer with a moo and when you shouted for the second time he'd come galloping up to see you for a scratch or to be told what a handsome boy he was.  :hugcow:

When they arrived initially the plan was that Jack would go in the freezer and Molly would be our 'house cow' so let me milk her, make butter, cheese etc and provide regular offspring......it's not quite worked out like that  ::)
She's a NIGHTMARE and has spent more than 50% of her time here, actually on my next door neighbours ground with his cows! She ran with the herd as a calf, so knows she's a cow and while Jack is happy on his own or with pony/donkey for company she feels the need to be amongst a big herd and regularly jumps fences, gates and hedges to get to where she wants to be !
We nicknamed her meandering Molly, because she just won't be contained! However, she's contained tonight  :innocent: We've got her in a pen in the shed, blocked all potential escape routes and will be quite happy to load her onto the trailer in the morning (assuming she doesn't go up over the side rails on the trailer and make an attempt for freedom  :o)

I'm just about to do their movement forms and am welling up at the thought of it.......I've always managed to 'keep the heid' when it's pigs that are going off (even special pigs) but I just know I'm going to be in bits tomorrow when there's no moo waiting for me at the gate and no big black and white butt to scratch  :gloomy:
Even the thought of lots of lovely home raised beef isn't making me feel any better.......I'm such a wuss  :-[

Thanks for listening  :hug:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: So sad...
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 11:22:21 pm »
 :hug:

You know all the stuff about "You gave him a great life" and all that.  But he was a real character (I met him just before he came to you) so of course you will miss him.  And coos really do get under one's skin...

You clearly have room for 2 Shetlands... so what's the plan?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

langfauld easycare

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 11:30:09 pm »
 :wave: a shame but  nothing worse than a beast that wont stay where its ment to had a bullock like that a few years ago (red) as in red rum pain in the ****. got a young simmy x heifer that would make a nice cow but she is similar so will go of the grass at backend . bullock really has to go at some point anyway pity there personalitys werent switched . i feel your pain but for the best  :hug: . get another two and start again  :thumbsup:

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 11:43:29 pm »
I know Sally, I just love him  :innocent:
Thanks Langfauld  :-* I know I'm doing the 'right' thing - it's not good for the breed or the keepers to have slightly mad cows being bred from.......the amount of times I've wished their sexes could be switched is unreal - Jack would be a great house cow  ;D

There isn't a plan.......well, not really  ;)
Our new neighbours next door (super friendly, normal country people  ;)) have a couple of 'Danish Jerseys'  ? (they look like paler, beefier jerseys - so maybe a cross with something?) with calves at foot which are going to keep on top of the grass in the 'cow field' and since they only have one calf each and plenty of grass I've been told I can go and milk them if I want  :excited: :excited: :excited: (their udders are mahoosive, so I'll be doing them a favour apparently !) so for the moment I'm going to concentrate on those ones, see how I go and just wait and see if anything comes along  ;)

Quite like the look of Luing cattle  :innocent: and I do have good winter housing so I don't think a Jersey would be out of the question either.........but for the moment, I'm not buying any more (that's the plan  ;) we'll see what happens  ;D

langfauld easycare

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 12:19:19 am »
one calf on a jersey sounds like trouble,i think u will be doin them and the beasts a favour . i think the danish is just there improved version a bit like canadian hereford or angus . prob beefier coz only feeding 1 calf .they were shipping quite a few over here . i have a right soft spot for jerseys ......and a right soft middle from drinking there milk  :roflanim: . best of luck and keep chin up for tomorrow

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 07:38:52 am »
Don't give up on the Shetlands - I have tame ones, as you know and hopefully, I'll have some to sell next year  ;D

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 08:01:50 am »
it reminds me of when my 2 heifers eloped to the neighbours field to join their herd, they had crossed the river and ditch and a walked a fair way. there were happy as larry in a field of 50 bullocks with lovely sweet grass. i was mortified. but luckily its only been once. my bull has been told if he ever considers moving farms then hes away so far he just stands guard at the fence and watches the other cattle.  :fc: :fc:
mine are more settled now there are 7 of them, the herd instinct is strong.

feeling for you today  :hug: :hug: :hug:

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 11:52:09 am »
I feel sad whenever I have to send et ram lambs to the slaughter. I hope all goes well :thumbsup:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 11:54:54 am »
Eney good stock  man will get attached some time?  You have to move on ......all the best for today .
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 11:57:04 am by Victorian Farmer »

HappyHippy

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2014, 03:16:52 pm »
Well, they're gone  :'( :'( :'(

Poor buggers behaved perfectly, loaded, unloaded and went where they were supposed to without problems (without sounding completely mental, it's easier to let go if they do something naughty at the end  :innocent:)

Thanks for all your kind words  :-* I'm just being a bit of a sap  ::) Time to man up and phone the butcher  :relief:

Couttsb

• Joined May 2014
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2014, 03:54:15 pm »
Aaaaw, HappyHippy, I am sorry! I'm glad there were no disasters for you or the coo's. I shall be in your shoes come Autumn when I have to send my orphan lambs off to market, I had NO idea how much I would love them or how individual they would be. I swear their baaing sounds like 'mummy' each time I leave them!    :-[

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2014, 03:55:47 pm »
2 whole coo's hope you have made room in the freezers :-)

you know its the right thing to do, jack was too soppy to be safe for much longer and molly well...

i bet bruce is just dreaming about shetland steaks!!!

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2014, 05:21:49 pm »
As has been said many times before! it is because you care it is a wrench to let animals go. I am glad it went well with no dramas loading and unloading. Don't ever be sorry for being a bit of a wuss, we all feel it sometimes!

MKay

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2014, 07:35:07 pm »
Do you want some little black Dexters who come running when you call them? Orchid would make a super house cow and twiglets a darling....

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2014, 08:02:31 pm »
 :hug: glad it went smooth even if it does make it harder, it's nicer for them  :hug:

I don't know what it is with coos. I went to help on the farm with lots of sheep and spent most days in with the coos, so soothing  :hugcow:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS