Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Members Map  (Read 8769 times)

bumpkins

• Joined Apr 2013
  • North Petherton, Somerset
  • Don't wait for your ship to come in-swim out to it
Members Map
« on: June 29, 2014, 04:42:23 pm »
No matter how hard I try, I can't plot my 'spot' on the members' map!  Has anyone else tried and had that problem? 
Thanks everyone.

Trixie

• Joined Mar 2014
  • Lincolnshire
Re: Members Map
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 09:52:55 pm »
I have just had a go and although I did what it said I don't think it worked either.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 10:28:57 pm »
Mine just appeared on a map. I don't remember doing anything.

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 11:34:55 am »
Nope, I cant do it either
Is it time to retire yet?

snowyriver

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Montgomeryshire
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2015, 11:40:43 am »
No matter how hard I try, I can't plot my 'spot' on the members' map!  Has anyone else tried and had that problem? 
Thanks everyone.

Tried many times over the last 2 years and failed.

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2015, 11:46:00 am »
How odd!! Wonder if its anything to do with our own software, or our servers (....oops, Im already straying into regions I have very little knowledge of so better shut up!  ::) )

Pity really as Id quite like to find some people near to me

snowyriver

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Montgomeryshire
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2015, 12:57:26 pm »
How odd!! Wonder if its anything to do with our own software, or our servers

I've no idea, maybe one of the moderators could advise us?

I've been on a topic 'Pallet Lambing pens', started by Castle Farm « on: February 26, 2015, 05:01:58 pm ».
Some are seeing the initial post, but many of us are failing dismally, maybe it would be worth you having a look to find out if you can see the photo or not.

Thyme

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Machynlleth, Powys
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2015, 01:32:20 pm »
Putting my pin on the members map has never worked for me either.  I also notice that the instructions say you can use the search function to find the spot for your pin, but there is no search function on the map for me.  And I find it a little suspicious that the map always says it has 250 pins already on it, that seems like a very round number that might be a hard coded limit.
Shetland sheep, Copper Marans chickens, Miniature Silver Appleyard ducks, and ginger cats.

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2015, 03:17:00 pm »
No, Snowyriver, I cant see the pallet -pen photo either!  ???

And I agree Thyme, I don't see a search facility on the map.
 Oh well, theres lots of other stuff to educate and entertain.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2015, 02:04:16 pm »
I've just found out something interesting.
looking at the map, and the list, I clicked on a name, looked at their info, used browser return button, found a completley different list of members!
I copied a few lists of 250 into excel so I had 2,000 names (8 lists), sorted them into A-Z, some are there about 5 times. so it must come up randomly, or maybe some have tried a few times and each time (eventually?) worked.
However I've looked at your profiles, and where some (like mine) have a map in the profile I can't see one in yours.
Shame really, like you, I'd love to have contact with other local TAS'ers, best we can do is put a rough idea of county/area where we live, under our name, always interesting :-).

I wonder if Dan could delete some of the multiples and some that have not posted since joining (in 2007/2008!
Maybe that would show up some of the newer entries?

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2015, 03:01:22 pm »
 :roflanim: were you called Sherlock in your previous life?
If you cant beat 'em then at least bugger 'em about a bit.

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2015, 07:24:08 pm »
The member map module is ancient, I'll take a look and see what's happening and if we can improve it.

At first glance it looks like it has a hard limit and returns a maximum 250 records at a time, at random, from those members with map pins set.

Any duplicates you recorded aren't really duplicates, they just happened to be in more than one of your random samples - since the map info is stored with the member record in the database it's not possible for there to be multiple map records for a single member.

We've got a long list of improvements we'd like to make to the forum and site, including better locational data with postcodes so you can easily find members near you who are willing to be contacted, but time is short at the moment and paying work comes first sadly.  :(

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2015, 01:54:07 am »
Thanks Dan, it was just a thought, we do appreciate all you do and the time you must put in.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS