Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: keeping pigs together  (Read 4288 times)

rorsa

• Joined Mar 2008
  • Rainford, Merseyside
keeping pigs together
« on: April 17, 2008, 11:46:58 am »
I have 3 weaners. 2 will be going for pork and the third will be kept for breeding. Once the 2 weaners have gone I intend to get a couple more to fatten. I understand that pigs should be kept together as they are social animals. What I can't get my head round is can I put 2 weaners in with my sow who will be about 7 months old by that time? If so, how do I deliver appropriate feed to the weaners and the sow? If they can't be kept together am I ok keeping the sow in an adjacent pen on her own?

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: keeping pigs together
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 12:22:37 pm »
We mix and match all the time.  We do find that covering the piglets in the "poo" of the larger pig helps.  Also make sure the babies can get out of the way. 

Feed we have an electric fence wire under which the smaller ones can go without touching and bigger pig(s) cant this allows them to feed separately.  A good tip make sure you feed them all together perhaps giving the bigger pig some treats to keep her busy.

You would need to separate them all about 3 weeks before she is due to give birth.

Having said all the above, Hilary hates everyone, and I have had to turn somersaults to avoid her going in with another sow, especially when she is going to the boar.  Last week desperate measures Hilary took herself off to the boar, who still has one of his ladies with him.  Went down a couple of days after to find Hilary and the other lady sound asleep together in the sun, whilst the boar was on his own.  So you just cant tell.  Keep the wound spray handy and go for it.

rorsa

• Joined Mar 2008
  • Rainford, Merseyside
Re: keeping pigs together
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 04:29:32 pm »
Thanks - that is very helpful.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS