Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ram has lost serious weight within a week  (Read 15280 times)

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Ram has lost serious weight within a week
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2014, 05:26:16 pm »
I agree - his sytem may well benefit from being "rested" for a bit.

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2014, 06:17:37 pm »
Have drenched with scour formula, he has hay, water and his friend to keep him company.  Has had 3 tiny feeds today of soaked Fast Fibre (horsy people on here will know what that is!) basically a fibre mix which you soak to  a mush.  He loves it.  Has had a drench of probiotic and a vitamin kickstart.  Have this inkling of a feeling that he is rather enjoying all the pampering and attention!! I spied him wandering around the yard from my tractor, as soon as i get close he lies down in the stable looking like he is at deaths door!!  :sheep: :love:

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2014, 06:24:49 pm »
Have drenched with scour formula, he has hay, water and his friend to keep him company.  Has had 3 tiny feeds today of soaked Fast Fibre (horsy people on here will know what that is!) basically a fibre mix which you soak to  a mush.  He loves it.  Has had a drench of probiotic and a vitamin kickstart.  Have this inkling of a feeling that he is rather enjoying all the pampering and attention!! I spied him wandering around the yard from my tractor, as soon as i get close he lies down in the stable looking like he is at deaths door!!  :sheep: :love:

That' boys for you... they always are at death's door if feeling unwell... :-J

But seriously I hope he recovers.  :fc:

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2014, 10:57:31 am »
How's he doing doll?  He sounds a bit more chipper from your last post, I hope he's continued to improve xx

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2014, 09:19:06 pm »
I had the same thing with my Herdwick ram, it was pines disease,  B12 and multivits everyday for a couple of weeks and I gave ivy to start him eating, he has recovered now it took about a month

andy
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2014, 09:41:24 pm »
Well, got back from my weeks holiday, 3 phone calls to and from the vet and 5 text messages (love my vet) during my holiday.  Ram has been blood tested and poo tested and just about everything tested.  Results not back yet from bloods but should hear from her tomorrow.   Rammie is picking up, scouring has stopped, looking like a dying swan has stopped and hunger strike has stopped!!  phew!!!  My amazing house sitter has been hand feeding him weetabix, ivy and digestive biscuits!!  He is now tucking into sheep nuts and is on a paddock of lovely grass.  Vet is certain it was worms and made worse when i wormed him!!  poor wee thing.  He has been wormed regularly but our area has been dreadful this year for worms.  Fingers crossed he will make a full recovery and be fit and well enough to go in with the ewes in September.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2014, 10:54:15 pm »
Very glad to hear that Rammy is improving - and that you had a nice holiday with such an excellent housesitter taking care of things for you.

Can you explain what the vet means by "made worse by worming him"?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2014, 11:40:44 pm »
Can you explain what the vet means by "made worse by worming him"?

id guess it was maybe the effect of the dead worms coming out of him all at once, maybe??
it was such a mild winter i expect a few places will have a high worm burden.

glad hes on the up.

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2014, 11:42:31 am »
yep Shygirl is right, he scoured dreadfully after worming because of the huge amount of dead worms coming out!!  Also because he was very low at the point of worming he was knocked back even further, one of those kill or cure situations.  Have chatted to the vet about a new tact on worming and we are using different wormers and a new worming programme to hopefully beat the little critters.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2014, 05:34:44 pm »
When we bought a young pony once, down in condition when she were wormed she ended up on the floor, mass exodus of worms, she came right, but my mam swears that was down to the amount of fluids we got back into her x

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2014, 11:06:19 pm »
yep i reckon the litre after litre of scour formula i poured down his throat are what saved him. 

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2014, 04:46:01 pm »
When we bought a young pony once, down in condition when she were wormed she ended up on the floor, mass exodus of worms, she came right, but my mam swears that was down to the amount of fluids we got back into her x

im guessing this is why a 5 day course of panacur is often recommended rather than a strong one off shot of equest. a bit more gentle perhaps?

glad hes still on the up  :wave:

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2014, 05:38:33 pm »
I can't remember what she used it was a good few years ago.  Wouldn't touch equest or pramox, don't like them. 

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2014, 08:55:16 am »
Quick update on ram, still alive and slowly putting on weight.  Rather got into the habit of being hand fed carrots, cabbage, digestives etc etc.  I think its called "man flu"!! 

Vet was out on monday jabbing cattle and had a look at him, really pleased with progress, labs are positive it was poisoning.  They are doing a kidney function test in 2 weeks FOC as they are so interested in his case and cant believe he is alive!  Concerned as to whether he will still be fertile  but will run him with one ewe this autumn to get his system going and see if he does the stuff!

Must say that Westpoint Vets do go above and beyond the call of duty!!

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2014, 11:16:27 pm »

Must say that Westpoint Vets do go above and beyond the call of duty!!

ohh sounds expensive.... :-J... ;D

great that hes feeling better  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS