Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ram has lost serious weight within a week  (Read 15281 times)

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
Re: Ram has lost serious weight within a week
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2014, 11:55:33 am »
Yes, pine can occur in older animals.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2014, 01:25:23 pm »
 :thumbsup:

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2014, 02:11:06 pm »
Thanks everyone, spoke to vet this morning, he reckons its worms, the south of england has a major worm problem in sheep this year.  i had wormed him with normal wormer last night, brought him home this morning and wormed him for fluke and tonight i have to give him a cocci drench incase. Have sent a poo sample off for worm count.  Just bought him 2 lovely cabbages and ewe/lamb mix which he is picking at.  Scouring like a goodun but i am not surprised with the amount of wormer in his system.   :fc: he makes it as financially i will be not a happy bunny having to buy a new tup and he is a lovely little ram who has had fantastic lambing results for the last 2 years.  (and i am actually rather fond of him!)  He is chilling in my stable and yard in the cool right now!!

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2014, 02:42:59 pm »
 :fc: he pulls through and makes a full recovery.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2014, 03:22:03 pm »
Beaut, don't give him ewe mix it will be no good for him, lamb mix fine, but a ewe mix, no that can give him calculi, crystals in the urethra  ;)

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2014, 03:23:13 pm »
ooh my god!!  ewe mix grabbed out of feed bowl rather quickly!!!!!!!!!!!  thanks!!!

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2014, 04:49:32 pm »
Any ideas on what i can give him to bung him up a bit, really stinky scouring going on.  Is it worth trying to get some scour formula in him? poor wee man!!

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2014, 05:32:54 pm »
When we ve had a little scour here in the past,  the vet has given us bimimix , but I m not sure if you can give that to adult sheep??  get him some rehydion too, our vey will draw up what we need in a little med bottle, worth asking if they can do that just for one sheep x

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2014, 06:57:51 pm »
It could be this.....
PARASITIC GASTRO-ENTERITIS

Parasitic gastro-enteritis (PGE) in Britain is a disease primarily of lambs, characterised by weight loss and diarrhoea..

AETIOLOGY

The principal nematodes present in outbreaks are Ostertagia and Trichostrongylus occasionally Haemonchus, Strongyloides, Cooperia, Nematodirus spp. Bunostomum and Chabertia are involved. In most cases infection is by ingestion of the larvae.

PATHOLOGY

The main function of the gastro-intestinal tract is to digest and absorb nutrients. In addition, it plays a major role in fluid and electrolyte balance and protein metabolism. The presence of large numbers of parasites in the gastro-intestinal tract will interfere with these functions with obvious and serious consequences.

INTESTINAL PARASITES

Intestinal function is to complete digestion and to absorb nutrients; the intestine also plays a major role in fluid and electrolyte balance and protein metabolism. To do this it has an enormous surface area for absorption of nutrients.

The effect of the presence of parasites such as Trichostrongylus colubriformis and Nematodirus battus is to reduce surface area and therefore reduce ability to absorb. The brush border enzymes may also be lost and hence there is reduced ability to digest. If there is a severe exudate present this will act as a barrier and interfere with digestion and absorption.

The clinical consequences of these changes are:

1. Diarrhoea. This is the cardinal clinical sign of enteritis. It can be defined as a consequence of malabsorption of water and electrolytes.
2. Malnutrition. Due to malabsorption and leading to weight loss, poor quality wool and impaired milk production.

3. Excessive loss of protein through the intestine.
CLINICAL SIGNS

Outbreaks of clinical disease are predominantly seen in lambs during the months of July, August and September. They are of sudden onset and several animals are usually affected, the main clinical sign being a profuse, watery diarrhoea which results in soiling of the fleece around the tail and perineum with faecal material. Affected animals become dull and the wool loses its bloom. Initially weight gain is arrested but as the diarrhoea persists there is a loss of weight and eventually animals may become markedly dehydrated followed by recumbency and death.

Young sheep may develop a severe diarrhoea during the late winter months. The first clinical sign is a gradual loss of condition which may be difficult to appreciate and this is followed by the appearance, in a number of animals, of a severe diarrhoea which is of a very dark colour. After the onset of the diarrhoea, deterioration is rapid.

Adult sheep frequently carry a worm burden which does not appear to affect their general health provided the animals receive an adequate diet. When food is scarce any parasitic burden may exaggerate the effects of malnutrition. Under these circumstances affected animals show a progressive weight loss without diarrhoea.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2014, 07:24:48 pm »
What are his teeth like? X

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2014, 09:24:24 pm »
Would it be better to keep him on hay and rehydration fluids for a few days to dry him up a bit rather than unfamiliar foods that his rumens not equipped to deal with.  Much as you'd give people / dogs etc  chicken and rice or something else gentle after a stomach bug.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2014, 10:29:26 pm »
Some sort of kaolin mix usually works. Not sure how you buy it but the elderly lady I bought my black welsh from used to swear by it. Otherwise keep him off of molasses. I'm sure there is something like wheat or barley which is supposed to bind just can't remember what. Vet can also give you something

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2014, 10:54:20 pm »
I would try some live yoghurt or better even, kefir. It will help stabilise his gut.
 :fc: he improves!
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2014, 01:32:25 pm »
Live yogurt would be good, forgot about that. I always syringe this into them before trying anything else.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2014, 03:19:16 pm »
Dry hay and Rehydion (as a drench). I wouldn't give anything else just now as he has enough to cope with. No concentrate until he's better. Has he got a friend in with him, alone he may just get worse.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS