Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: gate posts for stock fence  (Read 3832 times)

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Quainton,Buckinghamshire
  • Hobby farmer
gate posts for stock fence
« on: June 17, 2014, 07:50:30 am »
Hi,
We are putting up stock fencing to divide our field into paddocks. We're up to the point of putting in an 8 foot metal gate. We're not sure how much higher than the gate the gate posts should be. The posts are 8 feet long, and we're going to dig them in and use postcrete to secure.
So, we need to know how deep to dig the holes for the gate posts and then how much higher than the actual gate the posts need to be to keep it stable.
Thanks very much!
2 pygmy goats, 3 Ouessant sheep, 19 chickens, 2 donkeys, 2 Shetland ponies and 2 dogs

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
Re: gate posts for stock fence
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 07:52:58 am »
for normal gates i aim for 3ft in the ground (remember they will also be strainers for the wire fencing) even with postcrete its well worth putting a back brace on them as otherwise when you tighten the fencing on them the gates can move out of alignment...

midtown

• Joined Oct 2013
  • English Lake District
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 12:51:00 pm »
As Bloomer, I aim for 3' into the ground. Lay the hanging post on the ground, position the gate alongside it, and mark the post with:
1. Depth into the ground mark.
2. Position of hinge pins in relation to gate hangers.
3. Allow clearance of around 4 or 5 inches from bottom of gate to ground.
4. If using as a strainer, it'll need bracing. Also bang in a few 6" nails a couple of inches staggered about into the area of the post designated to be submerged in concrete. This will 'lock' the post and prevent turning when the wire is tensioned.

If you're using metal gate posts, then obviously only 1,2, and 3 above apply.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.  ~Douglas Adams

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Quainton,Buckinghamshire
  • Hobby farmer
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 02:46:14 pm »
Thanks Midtown and Bloomer,
Good sound advice!

I like the 6 inch nails in the gate post trick, its easy to do before filling in the hole.

Cheers guys.
2 pygmy goats, 3 Ouessant sheep, 19 chickens, 2 donkeys, 2 Shetland ponies and 2 dogs

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 02:48:33 pm »
if you need info on straining wires just shout...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS