Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Brushcutter care and maintenance  (Read 4470 times)

County Dangler

• Joined Aug 2013
Brushcutter care and maintenance
« on: June 14, 2014, 09:37:48 pm »
Hi guys

I've just managed to snag myself a bargain brushcutter, an echo srm300 and being that it's the first 2 stroke tool I've owned I was hoping for any hints and tips with regards to maintenance and care.

I've been told to take it easy for the first couple of hours to run it and I'm still not 100% happy with the balance / harness but I've got loads to do so with a bit of tinkering that should be fine.

I've also bought myself a foresty hat with ear defenders and a visor.

I'm really happy with it so far. It's looks to be a lovely tool. I'm going to grab a metal blade first thing on Monday to tackle some of the 4' tall docks down the side of the tunnel.

Any advice anyone could offer would be great. Cheers.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
Re: Brushcutter care and maintenance
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 09:44:26 pm »
get a good quality line for it (not the stuff the big metal sheds sell) it makes a big difference...

i do docks and thistles with the line cutter can't remember the last time i put the metal blade on...

keep tweeking the harness till you're comfy it makes a big difference, i can man handle mine without proper balance for at most an hour, with harness set up right i can go all day if i have to...

good to see you have a visor already, there is nothing worse than the first frog/mouse/dog turd you strim without a face guard on!!!

as for maintenance keep the head free of grass if it knots up clear it etc, the actual motor should only need a service once a year and its easy (there are great videos on youtube)

have fun...

VEG

• Joined Jan 2014
  • Maesteg South Wales
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 09:45:20 pm »
Make sure you get the right guard to go with the metal blade. Buy a good quality 2 stroke oil.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2014, 09:46:41 pm »
i remembered the last time i put the metal blade on, clearing bramble thickets...

i believe that's the only time i have used it...

VEG

• Joined Jan 2014
  • Maesteg South Wales
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2014, 09:57:12 pm »
People try using the blade the same way as the line. With the blade on it is used in a lift and lower movement not side to side.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2014, 10:01:05 pm »
most blades have an 8inch cut the line should cut 20inches plus, line is much quicker!!!

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2014, 11:30:35 pm »
the diamond shaped line is for tougher weeds. dont lose the brass eyelets for the line coming out of the head, as these stop the line from melting and coming off, dont ask how i know  :roflanim:
watch out for loose stones, they hurt like hell.

and yes your first dog poop is an experience  :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:

County Dangler

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2014, 09:55:34 am »
Cheers folks.

Maybe I'm being a bit hasty in saying I need a blade? It's gets through the docks and thistles without too much effort but takes a second it two to do so. But the docks in question are literally 4' tall and maybe 2" thick at te base. I'll see how I get on with another patch today but it seems to rip through them rather then cut if you know what I mean?

It's got the line it came with on it at the moment which is probably 3mm and has a spiral around it. In an hours strimming it didn't lose any length so it seems pretty tough. Maybe I'll try some of the diamond stuff?

Are the blades/fittings universal on these or would that be too sensible?

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2014, 10:34:41 am »
i use a blade for my docks as the line just snaps. we had seriously tall docks and even with a blade it was hard work.

midtown

• Joined Oct 2013
  • English Lake District
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2014, 12:28:18 pm »
Well done on your acquisition CA! :thumbsup:
A good bit of kit on a par with Stihl for quality and robustness.
Advice? Ensure you keep the head well lubricated (Stihl Multi-Purpose Gear Grease).
Throw away the spool and get yourself one that takes pre-cut lengths of strimmer cord. These are inserted into the the spool and locked in place by spring loaded blades. No more tangled strimmer line, plus it's far more economical buying the line on the roll!
Buy quality branded nylon strimmer line such as Stihl, not the cheapo plastic variety. I've got a bladed brushcutter which rarely sees the light of day. My Echo deals with 90% of the work, and that includes docks, thistles, and a fair amount of woody growths.
Word of warning though, don't use near plastic electric fencing posts! It'll reduce them faster than a plastics recycling plant!
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.  ~Douglas Adams

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS