Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: making a crush - ideas please  (Read 6489 times)

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
making a crush - ideas please
« on: June 14, 2014, 08:12:36 pm »
im needing to create a crush for our shetland bull (for vet etc ) and i am considering using a space at the end of our concrete stable block. its 14ft wide and 8ft deep. atm moment it has 10ft solid double doors which always catch the winter gales and end up coming down. (basically the space fits 3 round bales in a row with the doors on the longside)
i was thinking of having a feed trough at the short side - with a head yoke (?) and a swinging gate lengthways (replacing the doors) fastening at the rear.
iv seen the calving gates so was thinking something similar but suitable for a bull, and also hoping to use it as a regular feed station for him so he has a routine in using the area, he can jump a stock gate easily so will need to attach a high pole i expect.
and somehow stop the wind from blowing in if i use it as a stall in the winter - this would have to be moveable for access as a crush.

any suggestions on do and donts, or where to source something suitable. it will be attached to concrete blocks.
thanks

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
Re: making a crush - ideas please
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 11:27:29 pm »
I am just in the process of making a crush for my Jerseys, they are all tame and halter trained but now i have beef x calves as well i am aware that in a years time those calves are going to be a handfull!!  I am building a crush with half round post and rail, 4 rails with gate and top rail at head end, and 2 metal poles to slide in at rear end.  A post and rail holding area 24' x 24' leads into the crush, with an extra 4' which can be fenced off from the holding area to give space for AI man etc to stand.  I will also be able to use this for my sheep as the 4 rails will be close enough to keep sheep in.  Have no idea if it will work!!  We are starting it next week in preperation for TB testing in July.  My girls are very quiet, but no idea what they will think of this!!

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 10:14:48 am »
Just bought a calving gate ... and though not yet used it am delighted with it..... am sure it would be fine for a small bull too.... as long as secured to walls or cattle hurdles.  We had to remove the internal gate from it's hinges to make it light enough for 2 of us to carry it into position.  Looked at buying head yolks but seemed to cost almost as much as a crush...   
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 10:32:46 am »
Just bought a calving gate ... and though not yet used it am delighted with it..... am sure it would be fine for a small bull too.... as long as secured to walls or cattle hurdles.  We had to remove the internal gate from it's hinges to make it light enough for 2 of us to carry it into position.  Looked at buying head yolks but seemed to cost almost as much as a crush...   
has your gate got a yoke at the front? where did you get it from?
thanks

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 11:18:23 am »
Yes has yoke ... made by Richie     
Linda

www.nantygroes.co.uk

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 03:41:44 pm »
thanks, thats what i was looking at. how much did yours cost? they dont seem to have prices on the website...always a worrying sign... :roflanim:
is there any reason it wouldnt be suitable for a bull? hes very quiet but he would be strong if spooked.
i have a smaller crush for the youngsters and the cows tie up no bother.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2014, 08:27:35 pm »
cost over £400  (440 I think) about half cost of crush .   Find a local supplier who has one you could look at. ....
Linda

www.nantygroes.co.uk

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2014, 04:12:47 pm »
Try your local machinery sale for a 2nd hand crush, to be honest I think no matter how docile your animals are when you are worming, vet, tb testing etc a crush is invaluable and worth its weight in gold. We do sometimes pin a cow behind a gate in a corner, put a halter on her and tie her to the gate as well as tie the end that swings round (we even did this with our lim bull recently) but still if it's going to be used regularly I would think about investing in a basic crush.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2014, 05:12:39 pm »
Agreed twizzle .... but the calving gate acts as a crush .... can be moved without a tractor and will fit both our Dexters and much larger Shetlands ..   something which a cheap older crush would struggle to do.
Linda

www.nantygroes.co.uk

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2014, 05:40:03 pm »
Try your local machinery sale for a 2nd hand crush, to be honest I think no matter how docile your animals are when you are worming, vet, tb testing etc a crush is invaluable and worth its weight in gold. We do sometimes pin a cow behind a gate in a corner, put a halter on her and tie her to the gate as well as tie the end that swings round (we even did this with our lim bull recently) but still if it's going to be used regularly I would think about investing in a basic crush.

I agree completely.
There is nothing so important it can't be done safely.
If you look around there are perfectly good second hand crushes around for about £250.
You've only got to buy it once and it'll last you for years.
Many vets won't treat cattle unless they are suitably restrained, and I can't blame them. Why should they risk injury by relying on some Heath Robinson construction?
I used to go round doing pregnancy scanning of cattle, and I've seen it all - crushes made of scaffold poles and tied with string, gates attached to the walls where the wall fixing gave way. (Why anyone should imagine that a distressed animal, weighing maybe half a tonne or  should not exert enough force to pull a gate off a wall, I will never know.) I myself was trampled when the baler twine holding a gate gave way.
It's one thing taking a risk yourself with your own animals. It's not fair to ask someone else to do the same.

Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2014, 08:31:13 pm »
i did see crushs for sale at thainstone so maybe that would be wiser. does anyone who lives in my area know how to get one home? i have no tractor/trailer so would need it delivered.
thanks

Maggy

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2014, 08:37:42 pm »
Another vote for the ritchie calving gate.  Bought one for TB testing and am delighted with it - as is our vet.  We use it for shetlands but farmers here are using for commercials too so am sure could cope with a Shetland bull.  Can also be used for introducing calves for multi suckling as has removerable rails and a lift up section at the bottom of the gate.  All in all a very useful bit of kit with multiple uses.  It does take two to move it but you don't need a tractor when you change your mind about where it is going!

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2014, 09:36:16 pm »

I agree completely.
There is nothing so important it can't be done safely.
If you look around there are perfectly good second hand crushes around for about £250.
You've only got to buy it once and it'll last you for years.
Many vets won't treat cattle unless they are suitably restrained, and I can't blame them. Why should they risk injury by relying on some Heath Robinson construction?
I used to go round doing pregnancy scanning of cattle, and I've seen it all - crushes made of scaffold poles and tied with string, gates attached to the walls where the wall fixing gave way. (Why anyone should imagine that a distressed animal, weighing maybe half a tonne or  should not exert enough force to pull a gate off a wall, I will never know.) I myself was trampled when the baler twine holding a gate gave way.
It's one thing taking a risk yourself with your own animals. It's not fair to ask someone else to do the same.

OH bought a new Bateman crush last year and it is absolutely fantastic, all adjustable sides and yoke, all sides open up including front, it's fab. Makes such a difference to the last crush they had which was basic but still did the job. I imagine if you had no crush and bought a basic one you would feel the same as us with our new one. We put the bull through the new crush to test it out whilst worming just after we bought him- he was fairly placid normally but for some reason had a slight meltdown in the crush yet it didn't move an inch... can't put a price on that. Until faced with the situation you don't know how a cow will react and then it may be too late- I wouldn't take any risks and would look for a 2nd hand crush :)

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2014, 09:36:51 pm »
I still have a crush for sale !!!

MKay

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2014, 10:31:25 pm »
Shygirl you'll get a crush up here no bother, I have a friend with four! I could always ask him for you. I have a Hell of a crush thatiI paid only 400for so don't go spending more than a hundred building something.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS