Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: plants bee friendly!  (Read 4107 times)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
plants bee friendly!
« on: June 12, 2014, 08:18:27 am »
Hey guys
I was looking for friendly bee plants and stumbled across this website.
http://www.beefriendlygardenplants.co.uk/acatalog/Border-Packs.html
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

sandalfarm

• Joined Jan 2013
Re: plants bee friendly!
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 07:43:46 pm »
£53 for 10 plants! Must cost at least nothing for foxglove seeds

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 11:42:33 pm »
Do I detect a bandwagon  ::)  There are nurseries out there which sell very reasonable wild flower plug plants if you can't wait, or best of all grow your own from seed.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 08:04:31 am »
yes I agree. I just stumbled across this website, I'll try and get plants similar from Thompson and morgan, much cheaper ;)  ;D
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2014, 11:00:02 am »
Few years ago I found a site selling green manure crop seeds - clovers, vetch, phacelia, lupine, etc, except you got about 100g of seed for a few pounds, rather than 5g for £2.50 or something.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2014, 11:32:44 am »
Awesome, could you tell us the name of the website please? :excited:

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2014, 06:17:41 pm »
https://www.greenmanure.co.uk/seeds

I think it was the one above, but maybe there are other stockists who have more species? Or better prices?
I've spent years working on bumblebees and figured it was only fair to plant wild flowers to pay them back.

It makes me sad and angry when land owners have put in wild flower strips and meadows because they so often fail and are really disappointed. Those that look great for a year or two are mostly overrun by year three. Establishing a wf meadow is not easy, mostly due to competition from grasses and weeds. Sowing a strip of phacelia and vetch is easy and cheap, if its overrun in two or three years oh well, sow it again.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2014, 03:15:19 am »
I got some comfrey cuttings / plantlets from Dan a couple of years ago .
They can be cut several times a year to make high w=quality material for composting along with other vet matter or they can h=be used as animal fodder or they can be kept as a four feet tall visual barrier that is covered in thousands of light pinkish blue flowers  .

The bumble bees & large  continental wasps  have been working comfrey right from day one and are hard at it as soon as the temperature reached 8.5 oC and carry on in all weathers till well into dusk.
 I suspect that it will do the same for honey bees .
 Star flower aka.  Borage is also another good bee friendly plant that has a long flowering season .

The comfrey is grown from slivers of root node'd cuttings and the borage from broadcast seed .

Anyone want some comfrey  rooted cuttings drop me a PM & I'll take some for you  and grow them up as it is due a hair cut & 3/4 .

Comfrey is a weed of successful  properties , imagination and proportions..... Chickens , pigs ,goats , horses, cows love it , you can dry the leaves to make  a comfrey tea infusion . 
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2014, 11:17:12 am »
I got some comfrey cuttings / plantlets from Dan a couple of years ago .
They can be cut several times a year to make high w=quality material for composting along with other vet matter or they can h=be used as animal fodder or they can be kept as a four feet tall visual barrier that is covered in thousands of light pinkish blue flowers  .

The bumble bees & large  continental wasps  have been working comfrey right from day one and are hard at it as soon as the temperature reached 8.5 oC and carry on in all weathers till well into dusk.
 I suspect that it will do the same for honey bees .
 Star flower aka.  Borage is also another good bee friendly plant that has a long flowering season .

The comfrey is grown from slivers of root node'd cuttings and the borage from broadcast seed .

Anyone want some comfrey  rooted cuttings drop me a PM & I'll take some for you  and grow them up as it is due a hair cut & 3/4 .

Comfrey is a weed of successful  properties , imagination and proportions..... Chickens , pigs ,goats , horses, cows love it , you can dry the leaves to make  a comfrey tea infusion .
Also a compress for bites and sprained limbs. I have 3 comfrey bushes, the thing with comfrey is you just need one bush of it and it will carry on spreading, like mint.

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2014, 10:36:55 pm »
Bumblebees were working the borage flowers tonight at 2030  :bee: :bee: .  Can't ask for more ;D

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2014, 07:23:11 am »
£53 for 10 plants! Must cost at least nothing for foxglove seeds

Foxglove has turned up in my garden from goodness knows where this year - I'm really pleased. They must have come quite a way, because there aren't any nearby! I also sprinkle a few phacelia seeds anywhere I have a space... And leave lovage to flower (it's way over my head by now). All costs nothing to very little!

sandalfarm

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2014, 11:03:40 pm »
If you have some spare phacelia seeds I'll do a swap for some fritillary ones ,spelling leaves a bit to be desired

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS