Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dexter dead weight  (Read 11908 times)

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
Re: Dexter dead weight
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2014, 06:46:38 pm »
Shygirl, there is a young lad in Lybster who will tan yours for you, he regularly does calf skins and dingwall are easy to deal withabout ggetting skins back.

thats great, winter coat or summer? does the thick fluffy shetland coat bear well as a floor rug?
the last time i tried to tan a sheepskin it was the bluetongue era and i wasnt allowed so will try for definite this time.
i also have a goat to do but as we havent slaughtered a goat before it might take a while to get the courage to do that - or even get enough meat on him for that matter.  :'( :'(

do you have contact details for the tanner, please?

MKay

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2014, 11:33:02 am »
The Antlers B&B, lybster. Just between occumster and lybster you will see a sign for Caithness cheese and sheep skins. Lads name is Graham, he's the son of the householders and he does the tanning now.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2014, 11:05:51 pm »
The Antlers B&B, lybster. Just between occumster and lybster you will see a sign for Caithness cheese and sheep skins. Lads name is Graham, he's the son of the householders and he does the tanning now.

thanks, i will take note of that for when the time comes,  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

MKay

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2014, 05:56:54 pm »
Got one on the hook now at 169kg was 24mths NS. Not a large animal but well shaped. Hoping for 130 back.

Steptoe

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Co Antrim N Ire
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2014, 02:34:39 pm »
At this point no one will ever know but it sounds like your Dexter steer could have benefited by way of having been finished to a higher degree? A bucket of nuts from time to time or now and again, really won't cut the mustard with finishing an animal.
      By contrast, even a small daily ration of beef nuts, say 1kg, over a period of perhaps 90 days, along with good grass could have given you a higher yield of muscle. Hay, will provide maintenance and little else as a rule.
      As for the figure of 65% I think there may be some confusion? Some continental cattle ore even some modern beef breeds which have been improved by better selection might achieve 65% as a killing out percentage [ie carcase weight, on the hook, as opposed to the live weight].
      I would have thought that many cattle, in particular dairy x or traditional old gp breeds will not kill out much over 50)%.
      However, I don't know if 35% of bone would be a fair representation in terms of meat to bone yield; I would be curious to know if in fact that might be the case? logic would suggest that it depends entirely on the quality of conformation and level of finish. Older breeds tended to lay down visible patches of fat at the later stages and few butchers were happy about that.

MKay

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2014, 05:20:08 pm »
If people wanted their steirks finished on mass produced high protein crap, I'm sure they would. For me, its grass or hay and I get small but perfectly formed, slow grown beef. Otherwise I might as well shop at the butcher.

ShaunP

• Joined Dec 2009
    • Timber Chalets and Lodges
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2014, 10:00:32 pm »
If people wanted their steirks finished on mass produced high protein crap, I'm sure they would. For me, its grass or hay and I get small but perfectly formed, slow grown beef. Otherwise I might as well shop at the butcher.

With you on that!!!!

I have the returns recorded for mine on several sheets of paper and will post next week,

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS