Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Worming  (Read 2866 times)

Helen Wiltshire Horn

• Joined Apr 2014
Worming
« on: June 09, 2014, 08:02:25 pm »
I am wondering whether to worm my Dexters and should be grateful for some advice.  I have 4 short Dexters in total, 2 cows both PD'd in calf and due September and October, one heifer calf at foot (shortly to be weaned) and one steer (who will be in the freezer later this year).  Can anyone recommend a wormer that would suit?  They are on good grazing and with sheep from time to time.  Also, how often do I need to worm? Thanks.
Helen

Factotum

• Joined Jun 2012
Re: Worming
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 08:32:05 pm »
We use Noromectin pour-on for our Shetlands - best to ask your vet for their recommendation as they will know about local conditions.

Sue

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 08:43:51 pm »
We used Closantel pour on for ours - does worms, fluke and external parasites.

I have dosed them orally but ended up wearing most of it.

I do them at housing in December then eight weeks later.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 10:03:52 pm »
Our cows were wormed with Ivomec pour on and also fluked with Fasinex just before turnout in March then again 6 weeks later.

Helen Wiltshire Horn

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 10:06:33 am »
Thanks for the advice.  As I want to be able to use milk from my cows for human consumption, my options appear to be a bit limited.  What does confuse me is that none of the wormers state in the instructions how often to worm and so I suppose I must ask my vet. 
Helen

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 12:19:29 pm »
We worm before turnout after housing in winter as the farm is in a particularly flukey area.

This is a really good worming guide from eblex:
http://www.eblex.org.uk/wp/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Manual-9-controllingwormsandliverfluke070211.pdf

Helen Wiltshire Horn

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2014, 07:12:41 pm »
Twizzel, excellent guide.  Thanks!

Paul Sill

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2014, 10:57:12 pm »
Eprizero is a good wormer with no milk withdrawal.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2014, 11:29:40 pm »
The suckler cattle get Ivomec Super or Trodax on housing, and any that don't fare well get another dose about 6-8 weeks later.

Trodax can't be used at any time in cattle producing milk for human consumption, to for the house cows we use Ivomec Super injection when we dry them off, at least 60 days before calving.  (We're in a flukey area hence using Super not Classic.)  Milk withdrawal is 60 days, so that fits in nicely.

If we need to treat them while they are lactating, we use an albendazole product, eg Albex, as that is only 60 hours milk withdrawal.

Youngstock get autoworm or similar on their first season outside after weaning.  Older cattle are generally able to handle the resident worms; we aren't heavily stocked.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS