Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Shetland/Galloway/Dexter  (Read 6052 times)

Mungo24

• Joined Jan 2013
Shetland/Galloway/Dexter
« on: June 09, 2014, 12:21:58 pm »
Morning

I have been given the go ahead to get a few cattle.  My intention is to buy a few steers to fatten up in the first instance then move onto getting a cow and calf.  I have been to visit a dexter herd and have seen plenty of galloways grazing on the new forest, I like the look of Shetlands but would like to see some in the flesh.  Does anyone have/ know of a shetland herd in the salisbury area that I could come and have a look at ?

I keep sheep and pigs but cattle are new to me, I would be grateful for any pointers or views on these breeds and thoughts on which breed would be more/less suitable for a beginner with cattle.

Many thanks

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Shetland/Galloway/Dexter
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 01:31:15 pm »
We have Shetlands and wouldn't go past them. Small, thrifty, docile and fabulous beef. 160kg from our steer last year - 28 months on grass and straw.

Contact the breed society via the website www.shetlandcattle.org.uk or the for sale page there for breeders local to you

Photos and our experiences in the Diary on TAS

Mungo24

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 06:40:21 pm »
Thanks Rosemary.  I am enjoying reading your blog.

langfauld easycare

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 07:55:05 pm »
 :wave: my pure herefords are a dream to work with and do well at mart .i have bought a lot of differnt cattle in the last few months due to getting more grazing . angus are not bad my galloways are a bit flighty ,highland are funny to watch but a bit flighty to .shorthorn are not to bad to . if they are to fatten for the freezer it wont matter to much on breed but if they are to sell on i would stick to one of the more commercial native breeds ,hereford ,angus,shorthorn

Helen Wiltshire Horn

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 07:56:03 pm »
We have Dexters which we are very happy with.  My husband really wanted a Belted Galloway cow but I found that she proved to be just too big and headstrong for my small set-up and sold her when she went through the fence. 
Helen

Cowgirl

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 10:47:16 am »
Traditional Hereford! And you'd be supporting a rare breed.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2014, 10:57:28 am »
Traditional Herefords are chunky girls but they, and the bulls, have a reputation for being the most laid back of cattle and I've seen small children and dogs playing around a mature bull who took no notice of them whatsoever.

ShaunP

• Joined Dec 2009
    • Timber Chalets and Lodges
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2014, 06:59:51 am »
Dexter fan here.....but have not had any other bread!!

Meat quality is impressive. Low input, grass fed only with some additional hay in winter, kept outside all year and dont poach the ground apart from around the water trough and feeder in the very wet winter last year.

Just sent 2 steers to the butcher and looking forward to having steak and all the rest back on the menu!!!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2014, 08:06:06 am »
IMHO, any the "unimproved" traditional breeds i.e. those not full of American and Canadian genetics to allow them to compete with continental breeds, will produce the most fabulous beef from low inputs. So just pick one that floats your boat for whatever reason.

We wanted a rare and Scottish breed, so it was the Shetland for us. But if you love the rich red and the beautiful white face of the traditional Hereford, go for that. If that white band does it for you, go for the Beltie.

Rare breeds are a "thing" of mine so I'd recommend a rare breed because they need your help to survive - and the day of low input cattle is coming again. :hugcow:

Mungo24

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2014, 08:40:07 am »
Thanks all for your input, took my wife to see a local dexter herd.  She really liked them, this may be a significant factor in their favour!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2014, 09:46:22 am »
Thanks all for your input, took my wife to see a local dexter herd.  She really liked them, this may be a significant factor in their favour!

Only 'cos she hasn't seen Shetlands yet  ;D

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2014, 11:02:17 am »
And dexter beef is the nicest I've ever tasted  :hungry: :hungry: although in fairness have never tasted Shetland.......

MKay

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2014, 07:38:36 pm »
210kg deadweight of dexter steers.

marka

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Moray, NE Scotland
  • www.facebook.com/WellsideCroft
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2014, 10:44:57 am »
We have dexters as well so would heartily recommend them
Castlemilk Moorit sheep and Belted Galloway cattle, plus other hangers on.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS