Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Swallows and magpies  (Read 15321 times)

philcaegrug

• Joined Jul 2012
  • ammanford
Swallows and magpies
« on: June 08, 2014, 10:05:44 pm »
Two years ago the magpies had our swallow chicks from in the stables.  The swallows are now back and nesting.  Do I let nature take its' course or do I get rid of the magpies?

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
Re: Swallows and magpies
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 10:19:28 pm »
Si vis pacem, para bellum

If you want peace for the swallows, make war on the magpies.

Swallows have a fair bit stacked against them, they can always do with our help, whereas the corvids will always prevail, no matter what we throw at them.

. . . and you only noticed the swallow chicks that they got, there will be countless more nests that they robbed, that you never saw.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 10:54:20 pm »
I'd get rid of the magpies.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 12:42:33 am »
Someone walked past our house today, mentioned she was worried about a magpie down the lane, it was just sat there, 'I'll go and have a look at it' says I. One magpie less.
A friend told me how one took a house sparrow chick from its nest, luckily it dropped it and she managed to put it where the parents could feed it.

Shame, they are so lovely to see, but we let a gamekeeper trap them to help the smaller birds survive.

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 11:23:15 am »
Interesting sight in our garden the other day (sad though). 
A young crow was hopping around on the lawn, obviously with an injured wing.  A magpie started attacking it, pulling at it's tail feathers.  5 other crows flew in and made a circle around the injured one.  They stayed for about 5 minutes and kept the magpie at bay.  Then, as one, they flew away leaving the youngster to it's fate.  It was as if they knew it would not make it.
OH went out and gave it a quick end.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 06:52:43 pm »
Interesting sight in our garden the other day (sad though). 
A young crow was hopping around on the lawn, obviously with an injured wing.  A magpie started attacking it, pulling at it's tail feathers.  5 other crows flew in and made a circle around the injured one.  They stayed for about 5 minutes and kept the magpie at bay.  Then, as one, they flew away leaving the youngster to it's fate.  It was as if they knew it would not make it.
OH went out and gave it a quick end.

That is interesting. Corvids are so clever, it's a shame they're pests as I do like watching them figure things out.

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 10:50:07 am »
Do magpies eat bees?  I could swear I saw one doing just that my apiary a couple of days ago.  Never seen it before, but if that's the case I am definitely going to get rid of it!

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2014, 07:54:20 pm »
Do magpies eat bees?  I could swear I saw one doing just that my apiary a couple of days ago.

Never heard of it, but that doesn't mean they don't! Get a camera recorder set up  :)

sss

• Joined Mar 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2014, 08:11:59 pm »
Just been out to take a pic of our swallows. I think there may be a fourth in there but did not want to disturb them for any length of time

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2014, 03:14:21 pm »
Lovely :thumbsup: .  Ours flew the nest on Friday and now I'm going to clear up all the mess ;D .  How can little birds make so much poo :o

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2014, 10:23:52 am »
Magpies are fearsome predators of nestlings and eggs.  We used to have mistle thrushes nesting in the hedge trees every year but the magpies killed the nestlings every time.Unfortunately thrushes tend to build their nests in the forks of branches and they just aren't well camouflaged.

philcaegrug

• Joined Jul 2012
  • ammanford
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2014, 07:20:56 pm »
Update on the swallows.  They're now on their 2nd brood  :thumbsup:. 3in the first and 4 in the nest at the moment and no troubles so far  :fc:

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2014, 08:11:02 pm »
That's lovely phil ;D .  We had 3 in the first and 4 in the second too :fc:
They are flying around now and just coming back at night.  There were 10 on the telephone wires this afternoon.  I love watching them but it always makes me think that autumn is on the way and they'll be gone soon :(

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2014, 09:51:01 pm »

We have lots of swallows again this year, but they are being unusually quiet.  Most years we can't hear the songbirds for the swallow chatter.   The nests here have been suffering from woodpecker attacks - they don't seem to actually eat the nestlings, they just rip the nests apart and drop the babies over the edge  :(

They will probably all be gone in a month, back to Africa and all those yummy flies.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

philcaegrug

• Joined Jul 2012
  • ammanford
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2014, 08:58:11 am »
We had about 15 flying around yesterday so it looks like autumn is on the way.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS