Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sock loom  (Read 8736 times)

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
Re: Sock loom
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2014, 05:59:18 pm »
Just bought one online - thanks for the link!  I do knit socks on needles, but it usually doesn't look right at the heel - I always end up with too big a holes at the seam which I then have to sew together!  Be interesting to try this out.  It also looks so easy, my OH might. Beatle to 'knit' his own blimmin socks!   :roflanim:

Let us know how you get on with sizing them, please! I'd really like to know. As you say, it might be fun for somebody who doesn't normally knit socks.

They have different sizes (or stitch number, I guess). I have bought the large size which is for sizes 6-11.  The sock pattern I am currently doing on needles is the same sizes, and you just adjust the foot length.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2014, 07:27:36 pm »
If you're getting 'holes' doing the heel, try a fish lips heel. I've been knitting socks for quite some time, but this heel, combined with the 'German short rows' method (good YouTube videos on how to do it) of doing the 'yarn over/wrap stitch/double stitch' is now my default heel, as it is so simple and so neat and tidy.

I spoke about it at WSD Guild the other day and no-had heard of it, or German short rows, but they're both simple, excellent techniques.

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2014, 07:55:32 pm »
combined with the 'German short rows' method

Never heard that term before - and I've been German all my life, and knitting for almost as long!  :D

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2014, 09:04:14 pm »
They're probably the standard way you do the double stitch for short rows then - maybe they're just called this in England  :)

this technique

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2014, 02:40:50 pm »
combined with the 'German short rows' method

I have learnt the term "verkürzte Reihen" for the heel, I suppose that would translate into "shortened rows". Not got time to look at the video link, but I also use 5 needles for socks!
Never heard that term before - and I've been German all my life, and knitting for almost as long!  :D

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2014, 05:06:17 pm »
Oh yes, I use 5 needles for socks and prefer 'short row' heels.
This was just a different technique I came across for doing the 'double stitch' as you turn at the end of each short row. It's quick and neat-looking, is all.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS