Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sock loom  (Read 8750 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Sock loom
« on: June 07, 2014, 06:35:47 pm »
Has anyone tried a modern sock loom?

Looks as if it's worked just like the dollies (or nails in a cotton reel) we used as kids, to make a long tail, but bigger.
Someone, and I can't find the email, was asking where to get their Herdwick fleeces spun to make yarn for a scarf, and I suggested socks.  They are daunting for a beginner knitter, but I wondered if one of these would be any use.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 02:05:08 pm by Dan »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Sock loom
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 06:36:52 pm »
I haven't tried one but know someone who bought one. She couldn't get on with it although I'm not sure why.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2014, 06:55:14 pm »
I bought one the other week and I haven't been able to get on with it either. I've given up for the moment after three rows. Not sure I'm doing in right. The instructions that came with it were quite good to start off with but then petered out somewhat. I guess it's another case of looking it up on You Tube.

Oh - thank god for the internet.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

madcat

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2014, 09:21:11 pm »
I bought one when Lidl had them in. I've no idea where it is but I know where my sets of needles are  :roflanim: I will probably end up making something other than socks if I ever remember where I put it.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2014, 11:59:56 pm »
I thought they look like those French knitting dolls in which case it would be very slow to do. I'm sure knitting with needles is quicker than French knitting. It would interesting to see something made on one though.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2014, 07:23:10 am »
Yes MGWM - even though I don't knit socks, I got the impression the the loom was going to be slower.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2014, 08:14:43 am »
It looks very slow, and unnecessarily complicated! And how do you adjust for size? I use 80 stitches in the round for my socks with 2mm needles, and that's only a size 8... It also looks very lose, which means that the socks won't be very durable: the tighter and finer the knit, the longer they (usually) last. I think I'll stick to my 5 needles!

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2014, 08:22:03 am »
I think they look unnecessarily complicated and slow too.

What about knitting bags, they can be very easy, a just a long rectangle, sewn into a pocket and then felted - easy to do as not doing it to a particular size. There are some very simple slipper patterns, felted and non-felted, much simpler than socks.

Rav is a great source of patterns.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 08:25:57 am by jaykay »

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2014, 11:28:24 am »

I wasn't thinking of them for me - I love knitting socks - but wondered if they would be good for someone who doesn't knit - 5 needles bring terror to the heart of a non-knitter  ;D).
There are different sizes, but I think the general opinion anyway seems to be not worth using  :knit:  Ah well.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2014, 11:50:03 am »
from a novice-ish knitters point of view, it looks great fun. i might get one. iv only knitted on 3 needles and never tried socks, only done hat an scarves so far.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2014, 02:48:41 pm »
from a novice-ish knitters point of view, it looks great fun. i might get one. iv only knitted on 3 needles and never tried socks, only done hat an scarves so far.

Oh good - let us know how it works out  :knit:

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2014, 03:03:03 pm »
Just bought one online - thanks for the link!  I do knit socks on needles, but it usually doesn't look right at the heel - I always end up with too big a holes at the seam which I then have to sew together!  Be interesting to try this out.  It also looks so easy, my OH might be able to 'knit' his own blimmin socks!   :roflanim:
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 03:47:04 pm by Greenerlife »

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2014, 03:06:54 pm »
I've given up knitting OH socks. He never wears the ones I knit for him as it is. He said they are probably difficult to wash, but thats my problem.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2014, 03:44:07 pm »
Just bought one online - thanks for the link!  I do knit socks on needles, but it usually doesn't look right at the heel - I always end up with too big a holes at the seam which I then have to sew together!  Be interesting to try this out.  It also looks so easy, my OH might. Beatle to 'knit' his own blimmin socks!   :roflanim:

Let us know how you get on with sizing them, please! I'd really like to know. As you say, it might be fun for somebody who doesn't normally knit socks.

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2014, 03:45:47 pm »
I've given up knitting OH socks. He never wears the ones I knit for him as it is. He said they are probably difficult to wash, but thats my problem.

I must admit that for socks I use the "proper", commercially produced sock yarn: 75% wool, 25% plastic. Provided you buy the stuff that says "machine washable" on the label, that's just what they are.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS