Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Parma / Bacon slicer  (Read 3618 times)

wayfarer

• Joined May 2013
Parma / Bacon slicer
« on: June 07, 2014, 02:59:00 pm »
I cured some bacon last year and successfully made some air dried ham but have struggled to cut both evenly using a knife.   As I plan to do the same again this year (and I still have a lot of the parma hanging outside my shed can anyone recommend a slicer that would do both?  I have seen one in Lakeland that looks OK.

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
Re: Parma / Bacon slicer
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 06:56:01 pm »
We got ours off Flea Bay - it was a commercial one, like the ones you see in Deli shops. Makes the air dried ham taste about a million times better

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2014, 07:00:43 pm »
I got one from Northern Tools. Quite expensive - looks like what they have in a supermarket deli. Absolutely worth the money if you are planning to do lots of bacon and ham. We tried a few off eBay and they were mostly filthy and blunt
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 08:51:51 am »
I know this is a bit late but Nesbitts have been selling reconditioned professional meat slicers on ebay.  I bought mine worth £350 for £50 incl delivery, it had been cleaned and tested. Plus you get the instructions.  I couldnt believe my luck when I came across this.  It does weigh a ton and impossible for me to lift but what a brilliant buy!

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 10:58:26 am »
Anyone tried this meat slicer?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Andrew-James-Red-Electric-Food-Meat-Slicer-19cm-Blade-2-Extra-Blades-/281118017687?pt=UK_HGKitchen_SmallApp_RL&hash=item4173f08897

We used to have a Krupp orange and white one with two blades ..one plain & the other serrated like the link shows that was very similar, rated at 150 watts .

It had a hard job with all but the softest of crumbly cheeses and bread of all things but was good on cooked meat and canned ham . We never used it on veg of any sort .
 I don't think you'd have a lot of problem with a good cured meat so long as you kept it very thin and took it slowly .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS