Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pigs not eating much  (Read 9195 times)

nat2211

• Joined Oct 2009
  • Somerset
Pigs not eating much
« on: October 16, 2009, 05:44:45 pm »
 My pigs have gone off their food

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi everyone,  ;D

my 6 pigs seem to have gone off their pellets, they are eating all the other fruit & veg, but leaving alot of the compound food. They also seem to have very runny poo,  :-[

is this a sign i am feeding to much? They do not seem to be coughing, or sneezing so do not think they are unwell, & they get up to greet me but just not eating compond food.

Also a farmer has offered me milk that has gone off & formed a solid lump, he says this is OK to feed the pigs but i am unsure? And also the puree from cider apples? is this OK to feed them ???

ukag0972

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Argyll
Re: Pigs not eating much
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 06:39:54 pm »
I would suspect that they prefer the fruit and veg so are only eating that, which in turn, may be causing the runny poo.
I'd maybe stop the fruit and veg and feed them the nuts until their poo hardens! Pigs show digns of sickness very quickly and the fact that they are eating is a positive!

Obviously this is my humble opinion!

Good luck
lee

Snoopy

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 07:18:16 pm »
My pigs have gone off their food
Also a farmer has offered me milk that has gone off & formed a solid lump, he says this is OK to feed the pigs but i am unsure? And also the puree from cider apples? is this OK to feed them ???

Hello Nat

I would keep away from the solid milk and the puree from cider apples.  Neither of them are good for pigs - the puree will be to acidic and give them bad tummies, and its not advisable to give them milk that has gone off either.

Stop feeding the vegetables for three days and just keep the compund to them and lots of water, keep a close eye on them, and if in any doubt about their behaviour get your pig vet to look at them.
Have you just recently changed their compound food?

Julie
Living the Good Life and spreading the word

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 07:48:50 pm »
I would agree with both of the above.  We fed alot of over ripe apples and the pigs got the runs - when we stopped and fed only pellets the poohs were solid within 48 hours.  I think that maybe your are being too loving and generous with the yummy treats!  Hope they feel better soon.

nat2211

• Joined Oct 2009
  • Somerset
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 05:31:34 pm »

Hi,

Just to give you all an update, apparently i have been to loving with my pigs & over feeding them so have took your advice along with others & cut back on feeding treats, i guess being my first 6 i just want to spoil them!! but i realise i am not doing them any good either, this forum is a God send along with the people on here, thank you once again for all the help & advice.  :D

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 06:39:31 pm »
No worries - as long as you feed them with your 'head' instead of your 'heart' you'll do fine!  Its especially tempting to over feed because they appreciate it unlike my 2 children! ;D

nat2211

• Joined Oct 2009
  • Somerset
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 07:04:29 pm »

according to my partner i am treating them like my children because i do not have any! he is now saying it would have been alot easier to have brought me a puppy as he did not expect me to get so attached,  ::)
 :pig:

Snoopy

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 07:46:10 pm »
Heee heee  Tell your other half...

You will always be more attached to the animals than children anyway.

1.  They need you more than kids do ( once kids can walk and talk etc)
2.   They love you even if you have to tell them off (like when they escape)
3.   The animals don't answer back
4.   There always happy to see you - unlike kids
5.   If they do annoy you and drive you daft you  can sell them, eat them, or have them put down  ( can't do that with your kids now can you  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Living the Good Life and spreading the word

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2009, 08:09:56 pm »
Very well said Snoopy - I often feel like putting my children on ebay!

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2009, 11:10:54 pm »
No you can't do that only GRANNIES sell well on EBAY

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2009, 09:01:18 pm »
Shame! ;)

smc

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2009, 09:53:58 pm »
Strange what you say about avoiding apple pulp - on Countryfile a couple of weeks ago, Adam picked up loads of apple pulp form a juice and cider maker to feed to his pigs.

Does anyone else feed apple pulp to their pigs without adverse effects?

chickenfeed

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2009, 06:51:25 am »
yes i saw that country file aswell. it could be you are over feeding your pigs we had an old pig farmer tell us we were because ours were not eating up in fifteen minutes he said thats how they used to gauge feed if it was all gone not enough if some left too much not sure on how well this practice works but food for thought ??? :pig:

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2009, 09:06:15 am »
Generally that is a pretty accurate measure.We often forget how much knowledge was needed in the old traditional methods of farming.Those farmers often managed to feed large areas of the community before industialisation.

BadgerFace

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Sussex
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2009, 09:42:14 am »
Strange what you say about avoiding apple pulp - on Countryfile a couple of weeks ago, Adam picked up loads of apple pulp form a juice and cider maker to feed to his pigs.

Does anyone else feed apple pulp to their pigs without adverse effects?

I watched that and also wondered. I guess like most things, it's fine in moderation. My pigs get apples and small amounts of pulp when we have made juice or cider. But I would have thought large bins of apple pulp, sitting around for a short time would have started to ferment ? Does Adam have a herd of drunk piggies ?
Breeder of Pedigree Torddu Badger Face Welsh Mountain Sheep & Anglo Nubian Goats

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS