Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Old bath tub for ducks  (Read 3595 times)

r+lchick

• Joined Sep 2009
Old bath tub for ducks
« on: October 15, 2009, 04:01:23 pm »
Would love ducks as well as everything else.  But if I have ducks, got to see them swimming around.  Would an old bath tub be sufficient.  I was thinking about half sunk into the ground with a ramp as the shallow end for easy access.   Would I need a rough ramp inside as well?  Any thoughts.  Ros  :cat: :chook:

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: Old bath tub for ducks
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 04:06:48 pm »
A basin would even be enough or a kids sand pit. If you dig it in to the ground remember you have to empty if reguarly as they just love clean water. Ducks are great and you could probably get away with adding something at one ond just to help them out.

daniellestocks

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Nr Pickering, North Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 04:17:20 pm »
I use an old shower tray, deep enough for them to swim in and easy cleaning! I use a ramp in to it, and a couple of stones stepped in the corner to help them get out, they make an awful mess in the water and it stinks! so the easyer and more you clean it the better!!
Hope it helps

r+lchick

• Joined Sep 2009
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 04:24:26 pm »
I think someone has already suggested that the water makes great fertilizer.  Would that make the rest of the garden smell? 

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 05:14:34 pm »
Mine are perfectly happy with a sandpit full of water. It's easy to clean and they can eat none of the wildlife abundant in the "real pond". Nothing grows near the paddling pool (the ducks flatten everything or dig it up), but the Bistort nearby was double its usual size this year. I might carry the mucky water up to the veg plot next summer. Not much smell in the garden most of the time, but they do have a big area to spread their manure  ;D   :&>

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 09:20:08 pm »
personally if i didnt have a stream on my land i wouldnt have ducks, got about 20 aylseburys today, hopeing to kill 2 a week now till all gone, the clean water in a container will be muddy in 10 mins and mud surrounding it.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 10:33:29 pm »
What a lovely place you must have, Harry! Just no way we can incorporate the perfect plan with a stream for the birds into our existing setting, so a paddling pool and lots of space must do  :&>

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2009, 06:47:05 pm »
and rubber boots.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2009, 07:20:58 pm »
yup  ;D :&>

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS