Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What do you want in an article on spinning?  (Read 7844 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: What do you want in an article on spinning?
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2014, 08:20:58 am »

Sally and I have been discussing length, which of course can't be too long or it will take over the whole of the TAS website  ;D so our thinking is that we should keep it fairly simple and stick to the basics for beginners, then indicate which more advanced directions one could go, and do a series of links to good places for further info, with us tying  them together.  Many of the links would be to past bits on TAS, Ravelry and youtube.

Does this sound like an approach which would work?  I agree MGM that we could end up with an epistle  :spin:
I think this approach is really the only way to go because, not only would it have been too long for TAS, both you and Sally could end up with a full time job  ;D .
Having said that if you want to carry on with your book i will buy a copy  :thumbsup:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2014, 11:23:01 pm »
Just what I was going to say, Sally. If you can't find a suitable publisher, self-publishing is fairly easy these days.

jethound

• Joined Jun 2014
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2014, 04:47:26 pm »
As a complete beginner to spinning I would like to know things like suitable 'starter' fleece breeds or what type of wool to buy for a first attempt - a whole fleece, a commercially prepared top or carded batt? and the best 'starter' spinning technique. I.e. Is it easier to spin from a roving a top or a rolag and what methods to use on each. How to know when you have enough twist, how to set up your spinning wheel, which is the best type of wheel for a beginner. How to prepare a fleece, does it need washing and if so then How to know if a fleece needs oiling after being washed and before trying to spin it. How to know when/if your wheel needs oiling. Lots of mysteries here!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2014, 11:27:32 pm »
Brilliant list jethound!   :thumbsup:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2014, 08:29:02 am »
SITN and Fleecewife, how's the book going?  :roflanim:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2014, 09:02:08 am »
 ;D ;D er, it's not yet  :(  Too busy a time of year (also I'm doing two futurelearn courses which have been taking up as much time as I'm willing to spend in front of the computer on a sunny day).  Still the wildlife one to do photos for - I have developed a tremor so the photos I took were out of focus.  Nearly there with the flowers for bumblebee list, so the spinning thingy shouldn't be long in the starting.  Don't know how long it will take to complete.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2014, 12:19:36 am »
FW are you doing the latest forensics one? I've just started that, together with Literature of the English Country House and Writing fiction.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2014, 09:23:22 am »
FW are you doing the latest forensics one? I've just started that, together with Literature of the English Country House and Writing fiction.

So you're doing three at once  :o  I'd better shut up whingeing  ;D
I'm doing 'Ecosystems' and 'Global Food Security' (halfway through, then straight after those it will be 'the Life and times of Richard the third'.  In the autumn I'll be doing 'Hadrian's Wall - Life on the Roman Frontier'.  I'm looking forward to that - an excuse for a trip down there (again)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 09:27:41 am by Fleecewife »

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2014, 11:09:23 am »
In the autumn I'll be doing 'Hadrian's Wall - Life on the Roman Frontier'.  I'm looking forward to that - an excuse for a trip down there (again)
:thumbsup: :excited: :wave:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2014, 03:45:39 pm »
In the autumn I'll be doing 'Hadrian's Wall - Life on the Roman Frontier'.  I'm looking forward to that - an excuse for a trip down there (again)
:thumbsup: :excited: :wave:

Thought you'd approve Sally  ;D

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2014, 09:57:31 pm »

So you're doing three at once  :o  I'd better shut up whingeing  ;D

It was an accident. I thought the writing one was only six weeks and the forensic one was later on. I expected to have an overlap of a couple of weeks, not seven weeks of three.  ::)  I don't have any more to come though.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS