Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Scottish Crofting Federation  (Read 4251 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Scottish Crofting Federation
« on: May 25, 2014, 07:09:29 am »
Are pretty much all crofters members of SCF? At least, are the ones on here members?

Membership is £50 a year but there are quite wide ranging benefits. Is that why folk join?

Treud na Mara

• Joined Mar 2014
  • East Clyh, Caithness
  • Living the dream in Caithness
Re: Scottish Crofting Federation
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 12:21:34 pm »
We joined more than a year before we got a croft. So we had access to advice and also the possibility of finding out when crofts came up for rent or purchase. Our experience is that they are lovely people and in the end found someone who was willing to mentor us with our Heinz 57 flock of sheep. In some areas they do seem to have meetings, but not hereabouts so far. They also run excellent courses on various topics which are at much reduced prices for members. I feel it's money well spent so far. And you can even pay monthly  :thumbsup:
With 1 Angora and now 6 pygmy goats, Jacob & Icelandic sheep, chooks, a cat and my very own Duracell bunny aka BH !

Hamish Crofter

• Joined Jun 2013
  • Isle of Skye
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 03:40:48 pm »
I'm a member and my experiences of the SCF have always been good. Their courses are good and there is quite a good support network. Importantly they are a strong voice when it comes to government policy and reform.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 02:18:04 am »
we joined recently, as far as I know we're the only ones in this parish.
They run some good courses but the produce mark was the biggest incentive for us personally. Their magazine is quite good, we were asked to write an article for the next edition about what we are doing on our croft.
The only negative we've found so far, and I mean it in the nicest possible way, is that while the staff are helpful, some of them are not that well informed about crofting matters so had conflicting advice or had to wait for them to get advice from those in the know.
They also offer a legal helpline (initial consultation free) which can come in handy
and as Hamish says, they are quite proactive on matters affecting crofters
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

crofter 65

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Wester Ross
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 09:02:59 pm »
I have been a member for 25 years, in the beginning it was the crofters union, I have not used any of the benefits for a long time.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 10:42:35 pm »
maybe you should ask for a refund crofter65?..... :innocent:
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 08:52:43 am »
For anyone who is a member and recently received their 'Crofter' magazine, we have a feature on page 9  :thumbsup:

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2014, 07:15:58 am »
Not a member yet but having had a chat with them at the gathering last weekend we have decided that we will join.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS