Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Blood in milk  (Read 1972 times)

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
Blood in milk
« on: May 21, 2014, 10:01:43 pm »
My BT girl who kidded 3 weeks ago has a few blood specks in the milk when I strain it. There is no heat in her udder and no lumps and there are no lumps in the milk when I put the first squirts into a strip cup. I have tried the washing up liquid test and it froths up. Is this likely to be sub-clinical mastitis? Her kid has switched his preferred side for feeding in the last couple of days since they have been out properly in one of the big fields and I was wondering if this was related. After the stress of losing my other girl with the damaged ligaments I am very uptight and my first reaction is to get some antibiotics into her. I'd appreciate some advice.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: Blood in milk
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 10:23:54 pm »
I've never heard of the milk frothing when you put the washing up liquid in it. How much did you put in? It only needs a couple of drops.

Blood in the milk does indicate mastitis but there would normally be heat as well. Have you had a good look at her udder, particularly her teats. One of mine had a bramble scratch down one teat. It didn't bleed into the milk but may well have done if it had been a deeper scratch.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 10:27:06 pm »
I've never heard of the milk frothing when you put the washing up liquid in it. How much did you put in? It only needs a couple of drops.

I'm fairly sure that the thing I read said to swirl it around and see if it froths or goes gloopy.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 10:42:29 pm »
It doesn't sound like mastitis to me. Some blood in the milk is quite normal, especially if she also suckles a kid - his/her butting may well cause some blood vessels to rupture. One other sign of mastitis would be if her milk yield is decreasing. Also when you put the milk through a filter if she has mastitis you will feel it slowing down as it goes through the filter. It is difficult to explain, but once you have seen it you know, it is often the first sign that something is wrong. Even when they have sub-clinical mastitis they don't like you milking out the effected side, it definitely feels hotter and often has lumps in it.

I have had small(tiny) blood specks on occasion, it is known as "pink" milk.

The first choice for mastitis AB's would be Pen & Strep, not sure about the dose though from memory.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS