Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Argh. Now tagging......  (Read 1769 times)

tattycat

• Joined Nov 2013
Argh. Now tagging......
« on: May 20, 2014, 09:29:00 pm »
As said again!! Any of these 'societies' actually working for the welfare of goats????
Anyone know why tattoos were stopped? Eartags are not reliable enough for the damage they cause... :rant: :rant: :rant:
Dun Roaming Smallholding and Open Farm. Ireland on Facebook

Smallholding Weekends  in rural Ireland.
Also some 'Showing Goat's ' weekends.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: Argh. Now tagging......
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 10:03:04 pm »
The vet offered to do mine when I took the babies in to be disbudded this morning but I said I wasn't bothering until absolutely necessary. He agreed that was best.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 12:21:10 am »
I'm thinking of taking the 2 kids to a local show, I've realised I'll have to tag them, usually avoid it untill they are moving on.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 06:19:44 am »
Tattoos are allowed for both goats and sheep, and can replace ONE of the eartags. Also you can use leg straps on goats (however the size makes it best used for adults only as kids legs are still quite thin). However you will still need one eartag, so the coombo of tattoo and leg strap is not allowed.

I only tag my kids before they go out first time for a show, and only 1 eartag, which is (as far as I know) all that is needed until they are 1 year old.

Don't tag your kids until you absolutely need to...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS