Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: . Salt beef  (Read 1997 times)

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
. Salt beef
« on: May 20, 2014, 03:33:32 pm »
Is the salt beef of old , the same thing as modern corned beef ? , and if so , is the taste and texture of home cured salt beef the same as the tinned stuff ?
I have cured salt beef myself , but it was some 40 years ago , and before my smash . Apart from knowing i did it , i have no other memory of it , ie taste , texture etc .
Does it keep as long as ham ? And is there much difference in taste and keeping , between dry cure and wet ?
Cheers Russ

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
Re: . Salt beef
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 03:51:38 pm »
No - I am affraid not Rusty. The salt beef that we had for school dinners in the 1960s is very unlike corned beef - it is now a luxury item. They even have a food bar on the ground floor of Selfridges that serves nothing but Salt beef and Tongue with pickles and various breads.
You may have seen a thread talking about meat in Tescos that has come from abbatoirs that do not stun the beast. So assuming you buy your beef from the beloved Tescos and they have de-veined the brisket then you can make yourself real kosher salt beef :thumbsup:
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
. Salt beef
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 04:10:57 pm »
Thanks mak , i remember making it wet cure , just soaking in salt water with a touch of salt peter and herbs and spices in the fridge for a few weeks , then simmering for some time ?
Sadly no other memory of it other than i liked it a lot .
I don't like the tinned 'corned' beef at all now , although i used to eat it ok .
The salt beef i have seen doesn't even look like the tinned stuff , hence the question .
The beef is off a farm , not  tesco , payment for helping out .
No rush to do it , i can have it when i want , fresh or frozen .

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS