Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: sheep fencing  (Read 3472 times)

melodrama

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Forfar
sheep fencing
« on: April 29, 2014, 04:00:27 am »
We have several smaller paddocks and a very large field.  We were thinking that we could put the sheep in the smaller paddocks(about 2 or 3 acres each).  We are only going to have 2 ewes and 4 lambs.  However, it is a traditional style Canadian wooden fencing which was really meant for cattle and not sheep.  Some of it also has up metal gates.  Most of the fencing is in good condition but there are some breaks and lambs would be able to get out at almost every turn.  My question is, should I just get some sheep fencing and put it up around the paddocks attached to the existing fencing.  And also - can it just be tacked into place or does it need to be tighter and have some form of tension put in?  We had someone do our fencing fro us in Scotland but can't find anyone to do it here and suspect it would cost a fortune so its all up to me.  nThanks in advance.
Melanie

melodrama

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Forfar
Re: sheep fencing
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 04:06:16 am »
forgot to say it needs to keep coyotes out!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 08:47:19 am »
forgot to say it needs to keep coyotes out!

Gulp.  I think I'd be exploring livestock guardian dogs.

Could you use electric (mesh or several strands of wire close together) fencing inside the wooden fence?  Might be cheaper than proper stock fencing the lot. 

Personally I would say yes, regular stock fencing would need to be pretty taut, otherwise they can get their feet or heads stuck in it and get trapped.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

melodrama

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Forfar
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 04:36:27 pm »
Thanks Sally, We have a guard dog that lives outside, he came with the house and he keeps them off the property right now but I can't help but think that they'll be more interested once there are tasty delights to be had! We did think about electric fencing the lower portions of the fence but wasn't sure of the best option. x

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 08:42:56 pm »
If your buying in new stock then put the electric up for a start - when they are used to the area they prob wont stray unless there is no food - they like home just as we do. :)

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 08:44:55 pm »
If you wana be sure - just tack fence to the poles -(if they are strurdy) only a £1 odd a meter with clips and labour if the posts are there)

melodrama

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Forfar
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2014, 10:26:10 pm »
thanks guys, I have bought some fencing and we are putting it up this weekend for the she eps imminent arrival! so excited

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS