Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Best compact tractor for 6 acres of hill side land?  (Read 18746 times)

4 dogs

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Cheshire
  • Planning & preparation ,prevents,poor performance
Best compact tractor for 6 acres of hill side land?
« on: April 27, 2014, 05:08:06 pm »
So please I have found this forum.... :wave: am so close to buying an old farm in Peak District land is on hill side and is a mess at moment just needs hard work and TLC ....got 4 dogs so want them to be able to roam free over their land pleasing themselves ...would a kubota b7000 4wd or kubota l150 with a fail on the back be the best way to smarten the land up? Would it be powerful enough at 18 hp...? New to all this so help before money spent would be gratefully appreciated

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Best compact tractor for 6 acres of hill side land?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 06:32:25 pm »
I have quite steep land and I use a quadbike with a Quad-X self-powered mower. I'm very pleased with it.

As well as the steepness, you need to think how wet it is and how heavy a thing you're taking onto the land,

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 10:30:26 pm »
I know nothing about tractors or quads but wanted to say hi  :wave: and welcome to TAS.

4 dogs

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Cheshire
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 08:14:45 am »
Hello yourself  :sunshine:

midtown

• Joined Oct 2013
  • English Lake District
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 11:05:59 am »
Personally, I think I'd be looking along the lines of something like this;
http://www.ctm-ltd.co.uk/index.php/goldoni-tractors/4-wheel-tractors/quad-20/.

More functional than a quad, with features found on a tractor - PTO, 3 point lift, hydraulics, and a higher degree of stability.
Also means the ability to use a wide range of accessories!
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.  ~Douglas Adams

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Two Retirees Start a New Life in Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 11:28:36 am »
Depends exactly how steep it is. 18hp is also quite small for a flail mower. My land is steep and dangerous to the inexperienced (especially when wet). I use an Alpine tractor (expensive) though as my life is worth a lot to me!

Personally I'd have thought it much more cost effective to get a local farmer or contractor with a good tractor to do it for you. They will have far more experience than you driving on difficult land.

The farmer who previously owned my land cold drive on the steep bits with 2 wheel drive tractor with dual tyres on the back,; there is no way I would attempt that and I've driven tractors for years.

Welcome BTW!

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 03:28:54 pm »
Yes, I'd very much have liked an alpine tractor if funds had permitted.

4 dogs

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Cheshire
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2014, 03:57:27 pm »
Thanks for that will look into price look a great bit of kit, :-)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2014, 01:14:35 pm »
Hello 4 dogs!  we have steep land and ended up with 4-legged mowers and clearance operatives. Would love a tractor though  ;)
Just wanted to welcome you to TAS
ps love the 'p rule' - one of my dad's auld favourites except he bunged an extra p word in  ;D
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

4 dogs

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Cheshire
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2014, 07:38:20 pm »
Thank you kindly...love the forum...will be a lot of help with so many helpful people ...yes these type of tractors aren't coming cheap?? :-( best get washing some dishes for a bit of extra cash :-)

Trainee Farmer Ted

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2014, 08:01:46 pm »
Welcome!

If your on a budget, get a grey fergie with a pto freewheel and roll bar and just be careful where you go with it! Well under £1000 should get a good useable one.

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2014, 08:22:50 pm »
 :wave: Hello from north wales. Also on steep hillside but can't afford tractor. We have  got a £400 quider quad, which has changed our life's! Made a hay trailer out of a static caravan base last year. Most land too steep for tractor so scythe and sheep are the tools! Other tasks, we get a neighbour in either for cash or barter ( he even lets me drive it  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D . Enjoy it all

hafod

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2014, 09:21:10 pm »
We have a kubota b7100d- i think (4 wheel drive). We have steep land and it's got plenty of power (goes anywhere) but we had to add a weight box and wheel weights to increase the stability. (but we have a fore-end loader attached). Cracking bit of kit though. :)

4 dogs

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Cheshire
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2014, 10:25:34 pm »
Thank you everyone for all your input...think I am going to go for the goldini quad 20 not cheap but I feel it will be money well spent and it pays to buy right 1st time, :-)

woodman

• Joined Jun 2014
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2014, 07:55:54 pm »
Hi there,
this may not be directly relevant but we bought a Chinese tractor about 8 - 9 years ago. It's a Siromer (I think Shire is basically the same thing, but in green instead of red). It's 20HP and powers my 4 foot flail mower with no problems, except if the grass is seriously long and thick (as in hay) then I take 2 goes at it. We don't have much in the way of steep land though, luckily.
As for Siromer, well it's OK, but really it's only OK and not a patch on something like a Kubota. I've done about 300 hours on it and the only issue I've had is due to dirty diesel (my fault). I've now changed the stupid filter bowl arrangement with a fuel filter from an old Transit and that has made cleaning out the fuel tank much easier (No need to drain the entire tank to sort out the filter).
If I knew a lot more about tractors then I would have looked around for a British / Japanese make. but since I could have bought a clapped out pile of quality junk that way, I decided to go for new and get the Siromer. My advice would be (based on my experience) get a good make but take someone with you who knows about tractors, then you should hopefully get a good 'un. Also I think I should have gone for something around 30 - 35HP, but that's too late now. My Siromer does what I want but only just, and although it hasn't let me down really, I can't help feeling the build quality just isn't there. However if you want a machine that will build muscles in your left leg then the clutch pedal on the Siromer makes it ideal !!

Keith

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS