Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Feather Pecking  (Read 4497 times)

chickchris

• Joined Mar 2009
Feather Pecking
« on: October 06, 2009, 07:16:29 pm »
We have just taken on 3 hens, 1 of which has been feather pecking the other 2. One has just feathers missing but one has broken skin. We are hoping the now they will have more room this will reduce and hopefully go altogether but if it doesn't I have read that you can have the beak trimmed. Are there any other solutions other than separating them completely? Thanks

chickenfeed

Re: Feather Pecking
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 08:39:29 pm »
 :chook:hi a lot of chickens do this i can become a problem if not stopped quickly if a chicken sees an injury ie broken skin they can keep at it causing infection, i had this problem a few years ago with some black rocks and tried anti peck spray gention violet spary stockholm tar beak trimming in the end i lost one hen due to her injury i put a cock bird in with them and he became king pin no more problems. a lot of hatcheries do beak trim at day old stage because it is a larger problem with hybrids. if you do go down the beak trimming be very careful read up about it first. :pig: :)

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 08:52:10 pm »
This is gonna sound cruel but i have only one solution !!LUNCH!!,

we had the problem a few years back and tried separation etc (didn't opt for beak trimming, risks out ran the ups)
 i  would suggest do it sooner rather than later or other birds could pick up the habit and you could loose your whole flock!!

chickenfeed

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 08:58:14 pm »
im glad you said that cameron that would be my course of action but did not know how to say it some people are always ready to hear that the only happy out come is to cull, i would not hesitate after our first encounter with feather pecking.  :chook:

BlackRocks

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Wokingham, Near Reading, Berkshire
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 10:05:37 pm »
ukadex. It really stinks,you will stink after using it (so wear old clothes) your chickens will  stink and everything in the near vicinity will stink. BUT IT WORKS. Other hens hate it and it will stop your feather pecking problem in no time at all. Problem solved. Can get it online.

chickenfeed

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 07:10:10 am »
 :)thats the antipeck stuff i used your right i stunk every thing ran away from me people twiched their noses at me but were to polite to say any thing the smell lingered even after going through the wash but the chickens kept right on plucking each other ( blackrocks i have been told its a common problem with them not 100% this is so though) alls harmony now with all my dedicated chicken areas having a husband to keep the girls in check.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 09:05:24 am »
We've never had a feather pecking problem but I agree that a cockerel stops all nonsense.

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mablethorpe Lincolnshire
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2009, 03:16:57 pm »
make a "collar" out of cardboard and put it round the peckers neck. ( Like when a dog comes from the vet) I just use a cornflake packet. The pecker can still eat and drink but not much else. I find that four days will do it.

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2009, 07:05:31 pm »
not sure but arent there beak rings to stop this?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS