Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: belties from last lanark rare breeds  (Read 3077 times)

langfauld easycare

• Joined Apr 2012
belties from last lanark rare breeds
« on: April 24, 2014, 11:44:11 pm »
just noticed i had an answer machine message on the house phone (which i never really use) it was from the old guy i sold my 2 young beltie heifers to at last lanark rare breeds .they had ran with the young bull i also sold at same sale for 7 weeks . he says he got a lovely calf from each . :thumbsup:  i sold of all my belties and galloways as i had lost the hill i used to graze . a few months later i got nearly 400 acres at rspb reserve which they want some cattle wintered on  :-\ . but hey ho i have bought some pedigree herefords which are a dream to work with and out winter well, rspb grounds not as harsh as hill was  . i am also trying to buy some gascons. i went to see a herd at tomintul which were amazing but they are like hens teeth to get in this country . glad my wee belties did well for the guy . he got a good buy   :)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: belties from last lanark rare breeds
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 09:09:19 am »
Always nice to get some positive feedback.

Gascon Cattle Society are coming to the SS&G Spring Gathering, 31st May, Thainstone Agricultural Centre

langfauld easycare

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 11:05:14 pm »
it is good to hear back how things are doing .
it hardly seems worth them promoting gascons as there are none for sale . suppose there will be some day .the guys i saw in feb were 2 days in the shed to calve .they were so calm and were in superb nick having been out wintered on silage only . much better cattle than i expected to see .the good thing was the guy had none to sell so he was not trying to bum them up in anyway .
they were talking of bringing in a shipment from france but i am always a bit wary of imports . read about diseases getting brought in with imports

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 11:28:11 pm »
Parish two over from us, TB4 since the year dot, Irish fella moves in, imports heifers.  Parish now TB2. 

Yes, please, please, think about your neighbouring farmers and do not import livestock from areas where there are diseases you don't yet have in your own locale.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

langfauld easycare

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 07:38:42 pm »
aye sally i really wanted some but declined the imports for that reason .

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 09:26:33 pm »
 :thumbsup:   Wish everyone was as considerate!   :-*
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS