Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Undescended testicle in kid  (Read 2370 times)

cuckoo

• Joined Jan 2011
Undescended testicle in kid
« on: April 24, 2014, 11:41:14 pm »
Today my OH and I were applying a castration ring to a male angora kid.  There were two testicles when the band was applied but once on one went back up into body cavity.  We cut band off really quickly as didnt want to leave him like that - will leave if for a couple of days and see if we can do it again - if not then may have to leave him entire or see how much vet will charge.
Any one else had this in a male (angora) kid before?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Undescended testicle in kid
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 06:49:49 am »
Shetland (and other small breeds) lambs can all do that trick quite well too... I would leave a few more days, and yes I know the 7-day rule, BUT with some of the smaller ones the band would slip off at that age...

I now get my goat kids done at the same time as disbudding, while they are under.

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 07:53:55 am »

I now get my goat kids done at the same time as disbudding, while they are under.

Good idea if I have Pygmy boys, will do that, last time we managed to ring but when he went in for disbudding vet said ring wasn't tight enough!
Anne

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 10:12:41 am »
I am not sure if the size of ring is not too big for pygmies anyway... ?

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 11:21:54 am »
Our vet does our boys at disbudding too, but she said last time that its quite common for them to be undescended after only a few days and that they sometimes can't do it that early so I''d not worry and wait a bit.

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 11:36:35 am »
If it was there to start with then surely it's not undescended...... Sometimes as you take off the pliers you unknowingly open the ring a little so a nut can shoot back up. I'd leave a couple of days and try again  :fc:

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 11:50:59 am »
They should be done when they are ready (like disbudding) not when some Twat doing jobs for the boys paperwork in an office in the city says :rant:

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2014, 06:23:21 pm »
if you got the pair in the ring at one point, and it sprung back, just try again. it can be really tricky releasing the pliers without letting the little blighters ping back.i find it helps with 2 people and the lamb sat on your knee belly up.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS