Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Getting hens to roost  (Read 2713 times)

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
Getting hens to roost
« on: April 24, 2014, 08:44:31 pm »
10 days ago I bought 6 point of lay pullets, 17-18 weeks in age. They are integrating with my other hens fairly well, except in the evenings. They are not using the roosting bars, but all huddle together in the corner of the house. They do hop up on the bars during the day, but don't seem to have got the idea of roosting at night. Am I just being a bit impatient or is there anything I should be doing to encourage them?

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Getting hens to roost
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 08:57:28 pm »
If they hop onto the bars during the day, then they know where they are.

So maybe:
1. You've got red mite under the perches and they don't want biting
2. The older hens peck them when they try to roost, so the corner is more peaceful.

1 you can fix, 2 will ease with time.

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 09:07:21 pm »
Thanks. I haven't seen any red mite (yet!) and I do check regularly. I think I am just being a bit impatient.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 09:54:19 pm »
mites come out at night so hide really well. i often had hens who never roosted at all.

Carasine

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 10:38:21 pm »
I took my perches in the coop out in the end as the hens never used them and they seem much happier just having more space to spread out. They do still perch during the day elsewhere.

Ryder

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 11:02:36 pm »
Whenever I have had chickens making a habit of roosting where I do not want them to (nest boxes, coop roof etc) I pick them up shortly after roost time and put them where they should be.  After about 3 nights they get the idea and roost correctly themselves.

If you are sure there are no red mites at nights, and you have had them for 10 days and they seem to be getting on decently enough with the rest of the flock, I would start picking them up and putting them on the perches at night.  After about 3 or 4 nights they will know what to do themselves.  There will always be pecking at roost time to get the best spots, even when your flock has integrated after many months.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 12:32:36 am »
A lot of my hens don't roost and never have. Mainly the Orpingtons and I think it's partly because they're so big and heavy, they'd just rather be on the ground.

andye

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2014, 11:22:53 am »
I had the same problem when i moved my hens to a new bigger coop, they all went slept in nest boxes or on the floor.
After about a week of this i would pick them up and put them on the roost perches, now they have all got the hang of it after a couple of weeks.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2014, 12:20:59 pm »
I don't know why people worry about this. If they want to stay on the floor what's the problem?

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2014, 01:26:38 pm »
I was obviously just being impatient, most if them are now in the roosting bars. My concern was they were all squashing together in one corner of the house, just by the back door which is draughty, and they were in danger if falling out when I opened the door if they were asleep! All now settled well together as a single flock.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2014, 01:39:26 pm »
it may be a hierarchy issue to as the boss will have the highest spot.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS