Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: how long once pipping started - goslings  (Read 12394 times)

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
how long once pipping started - goslings
« on: April 24, 2014, 04:11:35 pm »
I have 2 x Steinbacher eggs pipping at the moment and hopefully another 2 starting soon - can anyone tell me how long it takes before they have hatched fully?  I can here them in there.  First one started this morning and isn't much further on really, sounds lively.

At what point would you intervene if necessary?
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: how long once pipping started - goslings
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 07:14:46 pm »
I probably intervene too soon, but if they've pipped and then made no more progress at all after about 4 hours, I start to 'help' gently.

Initially just take off a couple more chip of shell around the 'pip', including membrane.  Stop the second you see blood on the torn membrane, it means they're not ready to hatch yet.

The one gosling that's hatched here so far had 'pipped and then some' by daybreak, and had hatched by lunchtime.

He/she is just bring taken out for her first walks. The other goose is sitting on 8-10 now (rather than to two the first goose sat on  ::)) so fingers crossed for some more. At least we know your gander works  :thumbsup:

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 07:23:04 pm »
There is an awesome guide here with everything you need to know http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/491013/goose-incubation-hatching-guide-completed
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 08:25:10 pm »
Thanks Judith, thanks Clydesdale - I just got to that after I posted funnily enough  :D  and it says not to be tempted to intervene  :D .  I'll leave them until tomorrow morning before I offer deconstruction help. 

I really don't know why they would want to come out with all the racket the incubator motor makes.  It's a Corsi incubator but I had a loan of a different one in the past (don't know which type) and that was noisy too.

Aren't there silent ones out there?  And possibly ones you could programme in the noises of a hen / goose / whatever calling out to them - hatch success rates might be a bit higher then  :D

Thanks both.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 12:36:25 am »
Just been reading my goose bible again because I've one goose egg that's pipped internally. Apparently it can take three days from the external pip to hatching but mum geese do help so it's fine to start chipping off a bit (maintaining humidity etc.). but stop if you see blood. I'm just hoping my little chap/girl manage to get an external pip because I reckon if they can do that, I can generally get them out in time. Sadly I think that'll be it for this batch - only two eggs left and the other one is not doing a lot and the air sack looks far too small - so if it does make it out, it'll have to go in with the two week old ducklings.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 09:18:41 am »
Well, one minute there was just a hole the size of my thumbnail, then didn't look for another 4 hours and it had popped out fully. 

That was Thurs eve, now (Fri am) it's fighting fit, dried off and in the brooder (trug with a towel and a ceramic heat lamp).  Another still pipping and cheeping but 2 more not doing anything so far. 

One of our geese should be hatching a couple on her nest but she's been bored recently and off and on quite a lot, lucky we have substitutes, it's a long time to sit and get nowt.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 01:17:33 pm »
Jealous! Mine one is still tapping away at the inside of the egg. Not sure whether to try and give it some oxygen from outside or not.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014, 03:03:20 pm »
No2 has taken much longer and I've taken most of the shell away leaving it in the membrane and it's getting out fine now.  No1 is shouting away at it and No2 answering so  :fc: .

I did this a few years back but I can't remember things so it's like it's a new experience again. 

No1 has been hatch for nearly 24hrs - should I wait until tomorrow to offer feed, should I offer water now?

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014, 03:39:44 pm »
 I would put water and food in now  :thumbsup:

I love that the first ones out encourage the next ones to hurry up out - it's like they want someone to play with  ;D

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2014, 05:56:01 pm »
Play pal out now but still drying off until tomorrow, seems fine so far.  No1 is standing up stretching so time for tea  :D

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2014, 05:56:38 pm »
pics please

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2014, 05:57:41 pm »
oh yea, good idea, tomorrow.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2014, 10:14:44 pm »
I've decided to intervene - just incapable of sitting on my hands! I've cracked into both & the one that had internally pipped will probably make it although too early to tell how it'll be long term. It's still bleeding when I peel off the membrane so I'm taking it slowly & it'll be tomorrow before I get it out but it's cheeping away and moving well. The other one was surprisingly still alive but showed no signs of pipping internally. I've tried getting through the membrane but it's still bleeding a lot and I have no idea where its beak is. Have a suspicion it may be back to front. I'll keep an eye on it but I'm not sure I'll be able to get it out.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS