Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lanark today  (Read 2103 times)

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
Lanark today
« on: April 24, 2014, 03:47:12 pm »
I went for a look, mainly to judge prices for my future knowledge...

Had to sit tight on my hands as there were 3 very nice black copper marans who had all laid very dark eggs in their cage (better than any of the colours on the hatching eggs) the pen went for 50quid which was very reasonable I thought...

other prices I saw were mixed, I didn't stay all day as had to get back for kids...

Blondie

• Joined Apr 2014
Re: Lanark today
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 05:57:11 pm »
That's not a bad price, however just be carefully about bidding extra based on eggs in the pen. It has been known for people to slip eggs in to pens that have been laid by others in order to raise the price! Nothing to say those hens don't lay white eggs; unless you actually saw them lay! :)

Dundonald hens

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 09:14:36 pm »
Nice to meet you bloomer ! I bought a trio of pekins yhey looked well lovely feathers good sheen and sermed bright enough nice eyes untill  I lifted them up when I got home and they have tge wirst scaley leg I have ever seen !

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 09:16:05 pm »
oops

Dundonald hens

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 09:20:33 pm »
It is shocking ! I will post pics tommorow

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 07:31:35 pm »
A word of warning for potential sellers at poultry auctions. prices can be a hit on a miss its all about demand on the day, time of year, quality of birds, who you are, the weather and many other things. The most important thing is you can't vet any buyers so God only knows where they may end up.  I have no objections to poultry auctions as I have sold and bought at many but you must be fully aware of what goes on and accept that or these type of sales might not be for you.

Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 09:30:46 pm »
I did get a feeling there were a lot of pens being purchased for the pot by certain buyers...

HappyHippy

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2014, 03:08:21 pm »
We don't sell pigs at the market - for the reasons Big Chicken says. No way to know where the pigs are going or how they'll be treated  :( We also don't buy at markets now (we did, once, our second lot of porkers for the freezer) but the animals are usually of uncertain breeding and you have no idea of their health status..... it's definitely a case of "buyer beware" at the marts  :( (unless you know the seller obviously !)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS