Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Egg eating  (Read 2256 times)

Heather B

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Llangwm Corwen
Egg eating
« on: April 24, 2014, 03:11:29 pm »
Has anybody had any real success at stopping egg breaking.  I am really not sure how this has got out of hand but there is something wrong - everyday now I am finding broken eggs.  As quick as they lay I have to go out and retrieve the egg.  They have plenty of grit and enough nesting boxes but out of 13 laying hens am only now getting 3-4 eggs a day which is not usual - any thoughts!  Thanks  :chook:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Egg eating
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 03:30:43 pm »
I have tried putting a marble egg in the nest box and that doesn't help. I try to collect as quickly as I can but sometimes they are faster than me.
If i leave it too long they eat the egg virtually without trace. The dog gets all the half eaten eggs but sometimes there are more for him than us.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 03:45:22 pm »
Pot eggs have worked for us on occasion HeatherB. But we did have one who laid and ate it immediately, so she was despatched. I've heard of people trying a blown egg filled with mustard -but they liked them, which only fuels the egg eating habit. Roll away egg nest boxes can be bought (or made) but can be difficult to fit -I've no personal experience of them.

Hens do peck the eggs to test the shell quality -I've seen it done. If shells are thin they break, so perhaps the problem is a dietary one?

Ryder

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 11:09:38 pm »
I've heard people say breaking egg eating habit is not easy.  It has been recommended to leave some golf balls or other fake eggs in the nest box at all times.  When they try to eat them, they can't and soon give up trying to eat any "egg" in the nest box.

I always have a few golf balls in my nest boxes (mainly to encourage broodiness) and I have never had an egg eating problem.  May it is the golf balls doing the trick?

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 12:31:14 am »
I had a brief problem of egg eating earlier this season and left some fake rubber eggs in the box. It did seem to solve the problem - although also generated a broody!

Heather B

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Llangwm Corwen
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 07:47:10 am »
Hi all, thanks for replies.  Will try the golf balls and rubber balls.  The hens are so crafty and I could probably pin point the ones that seem to know instinctively there is a broken egg.  Thinking about the dietary thing - I believe I do everything right although perhaps a vitamin deficiency, not sure.  The aracuana and orpington eggs don't seem to suffer as they do have a harder shell and it does happen in one particular egg box.  its so annoying having to scoop out gunky sawdust (which incidentally they eat with the egg on)! everyday as if left sticks to the coop.   ???

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 10:03:11 pm »
if all else fails just eat the offender before she teachers the others to eat eggs!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS