Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bat  (Read 2986 times)

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
Bat
« on: April 24, 2014, 11:56:29 am »
Does anyone know if a bat will live on its own or do they always live in colonies?   We have a bat that flies around our smallholding every night (I am sure it lives in the old cow shed) but I have never noticed more than the one.  It has been around for several years now.  I am not sure of what type of bat it is but I do love watching it at dusk and in the height of summer it seems to swoop right down to get a good look at us.  I just feel a bit concerned that it might be lonely on its own  ::)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Bat
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 01:03:59 pm »
How do you know its the same bat? I am sure there must be others and they are probably just taking it in turns to venture out.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 01:13:58 pm »
I thought if there was more than one they would fly around at the same time!   ;D

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 01:24:57 pm »
How do you know its the same bat? I am sure there must be others and they are probably just taking it in turns to venture out.

:roflanim: :roflanim:

We have bats which fly around at ours at dusk.  I do tend to see only one at a time now I come to think of it.  I think you would see a lot as they leave their roost and come back to it, but unless you have a big concentration of, say, moths in one place, they are likely to spread out.  Ours don't hibernate in our buildings or the hollow tree, or even roost here as far as I know, but they do hunt here.  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 01:26:34 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 01:27:30 pm »
That's put my mind at rest that mine might not be lonely then!  ::) :roflanim:

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 07:18:32 pm »
The bats that fly low and are of a size so that you have to look twice to make sure it's not a swallow, are usually pipistrelles.

You tell them from the swallows by their fluttery flight - and that they carry on flying long after any self-respecting swallow would be in bed  ;)

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 11:13:42 am »
We have a nursery roost with two kinds of bat in the farmhouse roof and do a count for the National Bat Monitoring Programme twice a year.  Pipistrelles are those you normally see at dusk and will leave the roost over the space of about half-an-hour.  They are long-lived and tend to have their favourite "patrol" area - one will circle the pond, one fly above the muck heap, another fly through the hay barn and so on, before going down to the stream to feed on midges and moths.  The numbers plummeted after two very cold, wet Springs in 2011 and '12 but last year's warm summer saw a small improvement.

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014, 11:29:53 am »
We have a single one too Emily so dont fret  :thumbsup:

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014, 12:15:33 pm »
 :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS