Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Swollen piglet  (Read 3494 times)

danconfessed

• Joined Aug 2013
Swollen piglet
« on: April 24, 2014, 09:07:35 am »
Morning,

I have a piglet with a very swollen belly.  At first i thought it was where she had a full belly of milk but it never went down.  When i picked her up this morning it was very firm and bloated.  she was lying under the heat lamp with her ears back.  She is still feeding too

I have given her some liquid parrafin this morning incase its constipation but does anyone have an idea what else it could be?

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
Re: Swollen piglet
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 09:54:02 am »
Has she passed any poop at all? Sometimes the rectum or anus is not formed, worth having a look to check. The vets may try to operate to correct this, or put her to sleep if its too bad to fix.

danconfessed

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 10:04:38 am »
I had the same thought.  i checked her anus and it all looks intact but it was very clean so I dont think she has passed anything for a while

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 10:11:25 am »
Can you take her to the vet?  This has to be extremely uncomfortable whatever the cause.

danconfessed

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 10:15:40 am »
Im waiting for a call back now MF. I think its going to be a vet jobbie

Ideation

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 02:00:56 pm »
We had a lamb the same this year - and have had it in the past. If it just doesn't have a vent, then they can slit a new one, if the pipes are not there - there isn't much hope really.

danconfessed

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 04:36:25 pm »
ok - vet has been.  Temperature is fine, still spritely, feeding rigorously from mum.  Anus looks fine and intact.
Seems to think its a blockage and advised carrying on with liquid parrafin and to try a warm enema.

if it doesnt work and she becomes uncomfortable its euthanasia

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
  • Hampshire, near Portsmouth
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2014, 01:03:44 pm »
What has happened with the swollen piglet?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS