Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: First aid for sheep.....  (Read 2222 times)

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
First aid for sheep.....
« on: April 24, 2014, 08:40:23 am »
Reading through old sheep posts is such a source of info, I wondered if anyone had produced or thought of producing an at a glance laminated a4 flow chart of sheep first aid? I'd buy it!  It was reading one of sheep53 s comment re symptoms of calci vs mag deficiency, after fsnutters wheel barrow test....I thought must remeber that.  There could be 3 - general ewe, ewe lambing related, and a lamb one. 

Aside from that, which sheep illness book have people found most helpful?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: First aid for sheep.....
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 09:16:34 am »
I use the TV Vet book (now called Sheep Ailments) but when I asked our vet to recommend a book they said that it was best to read up online so you got the latest information and thinking.  Sites I use include Moredun, Eblex, Scottish Agricultural College - and, of course, TAS!

We were expecting to get a 'favourite' or 'bookmark' facility within TAS, weren't we?  I use browser bookmarks in the absence of them. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 09:43:47 am »
I find this book very good by Agnes Winter:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Sheep-Keepers-Veterinary-Handbook/dp/1861262353/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1398328967&sr=8-1&keywords=agnes+winter
Lots of photos and useful advice, and it's up to date.

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 10:01:51 am »
Thanks. I might do one (as well as buying a few books) and share here. The things I want to write down are the life saver, no brainer, do no harm if you get it wrong (vs the 'not sure, call the vet') like when to administer, ab (and which ones are best for what, which to keep in) calc or mag injections, vitamin drench, rehydration fluids, bicarbonate/gavisgon.......

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 11:46:26 am »
I use the TV Vet Book too - a very useful source on information.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 04:07:11 pm »
Way back up until about the mid 70's the vet's large animal bible was the Merck Veterinary Manual which was provided free by MSD and came lookign like a eal bible.. onion skin paper with thumb sections cut into it and indexed.

These days it's on-line http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/index.html
If you stick 'sheep' in to the search you'll ahve hours of reading.

Diagnostic flowcharts really only work for narrow syndromes and difficult to make comprehensive.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 05:33:49 pm »
Merck  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS