Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Do you have those days where you are expecting a sick animal to die,.....  (Read 10492 times)

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
And it just keeps pulling through? Brilliant but emotionally exhausting!  Had a lamb looking dead in field evening before last.... Alamiycin given and saw it up and with mother before night fall, all good. Dawn yesterday still with mum and looking ok.... 9 half lying in stream and shivering eyes closed and rolling. brought in, wrapped and warmed up.... Took it with me to vet to see if any stronger ab's, ended up being seen.... Sample taken for cocci, pneumonia not likely ( a relief because this was one of the surprise lambs who's mum was not given heptovac booster in time), could be worm burdens or tick borne disease.... But basically no idea but proclaimed unlikely to survive..... Still £40 poorer (whispers, so oh doesn't hear - he would go bonkers) go home, put in pen with nuts hay water and other pet lamb.  Convulsions on and off through day, not taking more than 1-200 ml lamlac all day ...  But standing and looking ok by evening.  Mum came to get it evening so let it out to see... Happy to be together but no feeding and lamb wanders off towards stream....  Nope, back in pen not expecting it to survive night.  Woke up this morning to find it standing in water bucket,but very much alive! Still won't have much lamlac,but have seen it sniffing the nuts so may be getting some....  At 4 weeks old and very well covered, maybe it have enough reserves to survive a couple of days on minimal food? Asked the vet about the water thing was that a sign of anything (other tha stupidity) she didn't think so (not dehydrated, temp ok).    Phew. Needed to that off chest,   anyway,  36 hours of minimal food that I can be sure about and still going.  Vet gave it strongest abs, an anti inflammatory, wormer and drench for cocci... So hopefully one of those is the thing!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 08:29:59 am by FiB »

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Our first lambing in 2009, we had a lamb that was so poorly the vet asked if he could PM it after it died. She's now five years old  ;D

:fc: :fc: :fc: for the wee lamb.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
You just never can tell - you get ones like this, seem to have a death wish but survive anything, then others seem well all along, feed well, never ail, and then just die.

Endlessly fascinating, an emotional rollercoaster -  :love: :sheep:

:fc: for your lamb. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
Endlessly fascinating is one word for it! ;D  It is though.  At least the more I go on ( and the more I spend at the vets to come out with still no idea :-J ), the more reassured I feel that I am doing my best and that it is probably ok. As a novice the biggest worry is missing something stupid or not doing the right thing quick enough.... That's why having you guys on the end of a wifi is so golden  :) :bouquet: :hug:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
It's probably a good idea to count a proportion of the vet fees as 'training/education', lol!

On a farm scale we can kind of shrug it off - a vet visit for an individual ewe may not make financial sense if you look at it that way, but overall so long as our vet fees are affordable across the flock, we just get the vet if its something we can't deal with. 

Harder decisions sometimes with a very small flock, I guess.  So chalking it up as 'training' makes sense!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Fi, it sounds like a tough little lamb. Lets hope it gets stronger and stronger  :fc:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Ideation

• Joined Apr 2014
Unfortunately i've noticed that the little buggers often like to perk right up . . . . just before they keel over!

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
Unfortunately i've noticed that the little buggers often like to perk right up . . . . just before they keel over!
Yep still not holding my breath, but it's still here......

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
sounds strangely attracted to water??  In the stream, in a bucket....

anyway good luck!

Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
Hope he sorts himself out soon. If not for him then for your sanity  :hug:

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
As a novice the biggest worry is missing something stupid or not doing the right thing quick enough.... That's why having you guys on the end of a wifi is so golden  :) :bouquet: :hug:

I know that feeling! Took my tiny cade ewe to the vet the Thurs before easter. She had started snuffling and although I know (i.e. read it in a book) they can get viral upper respiratory tract infections (a cold!) she had had no maternal colostrum and the day before a 4 day BH weekend didn't seem the right time to see how she went for a day or two. Picked up beautifully after 24 hours following antibiotics and metacam (or she just got better  :innocent: ).

:fc:  For your little one.

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
ditto!

trouble is every time you learn how to deal with one crisis, the next sheep presents you with some new problem.

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
soooo true Mab !! :sheep: :sheep:
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
Mab, that's it in a nutshell ::) .

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Once they start fitting they're usually goners.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS