Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: More garlic ?  (Read 2084 times)

Bert

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Isle of Mull
More garlic ?
« on: April 24, 2014, 07:44:54 am »
Last week I was given 12 bulbs of garlic. All starting to sprout  :thumbsup: . I have planted them all and they are doing very well. Do you think the time they spent in the back of a chiller lorry will count as there cold spell? Or am I just growing leafy stuff?

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 08:49:45 pm »
I have planted them in May before and got bulbs with cloves , so anything can happen .
They may just not form cloves , but you should get , at worst , a garlic like a pickling onion , ie one big round clove .
Perfectly ok to use , it is still garlic , freshly lifted they can be eaten raw or roasted , or used as normal , they may not keep quite as long ?
They may form cloves but  be about half the size of a normal bulb .
Always worth a go though , even cloves that sprout in june , july etc can be put in pots or trays and just cut the growth like chives .
You don't get a bulb then though , just cut and use the top  growth , then bin them when they flag .

Bert

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Isle of Mull
Re: More garlic ?
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 07:19:58 am »
Thanks RUSTYME  :thumbsup: . That's really helpful to know.

Somewhere_by_the_river

• Joined Dec 2013
  • Near Llandeilo
    • Angela French Graphite Artist
    • Facebook
Re: More garlic ?
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 10:50:09 am »
Rustyme has it right. You get better garlic (on the whole) from autumn planted cloves, but there's no harm in giving it a go. I've planted garlic in spring before and got perfectly usable, albeit small, cloves. If it's sprouting it clearly wants a chance in the garden!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS