Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hand shears  (Read 6143 times)

smee2012

• Joined Sep 2012
Hand shears
« on: April 23, 2014, 11:06:56 pm »
I'm attempting to be prepared and we are possibly going to hand shear our four ewes this year so I'm looking for a good pair of hand shears. Our ewes are pretty big sheep so it's probably going to take a while (I've only ever clipped horses out before!). I might also attempt to halter train them all beforehand, to make my job a little easier.

Does anyone here hand shear? If so, can you recommend a good pair of shears? I'm slightly handicapped in that I suffer with rheumatoid arthritis, particularly in my hands, so they need to be fairly small and not very stiff. Am I asking for the moon on a stick?  :innocent:

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
Re: Hand shears
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 11:07:29 pm »
Jakoti are great but mind your fingers, they are sharp!

smee2012

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 11:14:39 pm »
I have some Trafalgar 5" dagging shears at the moment but I find them very heavy and cumbersome, and was very nervous about using them on my ewes postlambing as they were so pointy and sharp. Do you know what size the Jakoti ones are? I did have a look at those before but couldn't find the blade size.

JulieWall

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Cornhill, Banff
    • The Roundhouse
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 11:43:17 pm »
I've always hand sheared but I couldn't tell you what make my shears are.
The best tip I can give you is keep the shears flat to the body and don't pull on the wool or you'll nick the skin. If you wait until the wool is well risen the job will be easy. The ewes will probably look as if they are wearing an Elizabethan ruff at the neck but check that the back and legs are also the same or you will find it very hard going. You know it is risen when there is a discernible 'break' or thin area between the old fleece and the new. You shear into this thin area and the job should be easy.
I have owned some electric shears for several years now and never been bold enough to use them, I've sewn up too many experienced shearer cuts and I think of electric shears as vicious and scary. I plan to try them out this year though so that's going to be a first for me but I reckon hand shearing gives you a good knowledge of a sheep's body contours so I think I'm finally ready to bite the bullet.

Forgot to say; I also have arthritis in my hands - everywhere actually, I've been known to sit on an upturned bucket to shear to spare my back - try just doing one or two at a time or your hands will be very sore the following day. Good luck  :fc:
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 11:47:26 pm by JulieWall »
Permaculture and smallholding, perfect partners
http://theroundhouseforum.co.uk/

smee2012

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 11:56:44 pm »
Thanks Julie - yes I'm hoping to do them over the course of a week, one at a time. Think I might cripple myself otherwise!

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 06:20:02 am »
Jakoti for me too - mega sharp and nice and smooth to use, I did my 23 last year over a few days and as said when the fleece had risen the job wasn't so tough. Some were easier than others.
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Slimjim

• Joined Apr 2013
  • North Devon
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 07:35:39 am »
The Jakoti shears blades are about 5" long, and they are an ace piece of kit. But if you intend to buy them, do shop around on the internet - there is a big range of prices out there. Good luck with the shearing!

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014, 07:57:19 am »

Forgot to say; I also have arthritis in my hands - everywhere actually, I've been known to sit on an upturned bucket to shear to spare my back - try just doing one or two at a time or your hands will be very sore the following day. Good luck  :fc:
Lol, I end up sitting on the floor with the sheep on my lap sometimes.  I can't do the standby up bendy down thing. One day I will do it in under half an hour!  The sheep always seem calm and ok though I hasten to add also have th jakoti ones

JulieWall

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Cornhill, Banff
    • The Roundhouse
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2014, 05:07:29 pm »
I thought 5 inch blades sounded short so I dug mine out and sure enough, just over 5 inch blades! They're made by a company called Burgeon & Ball, a fairly traditional design and feel nice in my hand. They have rubber stops inside the handles so you don't over squeeze them which helps with the arthritic hand issue. You can spend a small fortune on these things if you want to but before you do it might be wise to ask around friends and see if you can try theirs out so you know what you prefer. As long as you aren't in the habit of losing things regularly then buying the right ones for you might be a good investment for life.

There's a lot to be said for the upturned bucket method if you like cuddling the sheep  :-* :eyelashes: Cud breath isn't for the squeamish though .......
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 05:14:46 pm by JulieWall »

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2014, 05:23:04 pm »
I've sat on a straw bale (covered with something).  Meant I could sit down, or lean the sheep up against it. :)

Burgon & Ball red handled ones I have - 6.5" double bow.  Although I think I'd like a shorter pair like 5.5" as I've only little hands and my sheep are fairly little too.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2014, 06:22:43 pm »
I have jakoti and  drummer boy and the jakoti are easier to use and less tiring on the hand .  Traditionally  sheep were clipped on a stool so that the shearer was sitting with his back against a wall , often the sheep had their legs tied . maybe something to think about for bad backs

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2014, 10:46:20 am »
Straw bale for me and Jakoti shears.  But it takes an age... :tired:

JulieWall

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Cornhill, Banff
    • The Roundhouse
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2014, 12:05:45 pm »
I've seen pictures in books of old medieval woodcuts where the women are all sat on the ground with sheep in their laps shearing and chatting away. I expect sheep were generally smaller then too, not like the great big commercial ewes today. Might be a nice option for people with Shetlands or primitives. If I sat on the floor I'd never get up again, arthritis is everywhere but my toes .... but give it time, lol. To be honest, standing is faster and better for technique as you roll the ewe round with your knees leaving both hands free. Keep a bucket behind you to sit down on when it gets a bit much.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS