Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Summer grazing/ CPH no  (Read 4822 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Summer grazing/ CPH no
« on: April 23, 2014, 03:21:35 pm »
If I found some summer grazing for my sheep what happens about the CPH no. Do the owners need one or do I register it in my name/their name?
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Herdygirl

• Joined Sep 2011
Re: Summer grazing/ CPH no
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 03:53:38 pm »
In your name, it becomes part of your holding

pooks

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 04:12:42 pm »
Ring animal health and you get given a temporary holding number,  they do this over the phone in Cornwall. I have my own cph and then three other temporary ones.  I still have to register movements between them all though.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 04:20:15 pm »
Depends if owners already have their own CPH - then you just use theirs. If not and they do not want to apply for one, the you may be able to get a temporary one, although I have never needed to do this.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 04:30:53 pm »
Also might depend how far away it is from your own holding, if within a certain distance (which I think is due to be expanded) you can count it under your own.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 04:33:39 pm »
Ah, that's interesting foobar. It's about a mile from where I live. I will have to find out more details.

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 04:48:10 pm »
If it is only a mile away you don't need to do a movement just keep a record. I think the limit is 5 miles!
Anne

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 06:15:41 pm »
We use a field 4 miles away from main holding, I used to send off movement forms each time but then after a visit from an animal health lady she said we just write it down in our records but dont have to send off a form  :thumbsup:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2014, 12:49:32 am »
If they already have a holding number, just check what else they have on that holding number, because your movements on to theirs would trigger a standstill on their holding, and you would have to check that their holding wasn't on a standstill when you came to move your stock off. ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2014, 07:40:54 am »
Well, currently they don't have any animals on their land. They are both mural artists and work away quite a bit so aren't able to look after animals themselves. When they are home though they would love to see something in their fields.

They offered me their land last year. I am just assuming at the moment that they haven't offered it to someone else in the meantime.

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2014, 08:08:10 am »
If they already have a holding number, just check what else they have on that holding number, because your movements on to theirs would trigger a standstill on their holding, and you would have to check that their holding wasn't on a standstill when you came to move your stock off. ;)

This is why I have temp holding numbers on all mine - and also, if the holding is in your name, you are responsible for the stock, if it isn't the landowner is, and you wouldn't want them to be fined some SFP because of your tagging issue (for example), would you?

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2014, 09:50:03 am »

This is why I have temp holding numbers on all mine - and also, if the holding is in your name, you are responsible for the stock, if it isn't the landowner is, and you wouldn't want them to be fined some SFP because of your tagging issue (for example), would you?

Steve, What tagging issues? Everything I do is perfect  :-J

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2014, 10:43:35 am »
I have a similar situation and rang AH.  They said if no other animals had been on the land, and only our sheep were using it, then I could treat it as part of our holding and no paperwork necessary. :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS