Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: cleaning an incubator  (Read 2793 times)

bumpkins

• Joined Apr 2013
  • North Petherton, Somerset
  • Don't wait for your ship to come in-swim out to it
cleaning an incubator
« on: April 23, 2014, 09:15:32 am »
Hi
I've read so much conflicting advice about this that I'm wondering if someone here can help.  I've just bought a new incubator, tested it for temperature etc and my hatching eggs are going to be arriving today.  I know that I need to leave them for 24 hours to settle, so am going to get the incubator cleaned and prepared today.  Can you tell me what is the safest way to clean it?  I have things like bird cage sanitiser, poultry shield etc, but am worried about using chemicals of any sort.  Someone else suggested a weak bleach solution.  Can anyone advise me?
Thank you - Catherine

mentalmilly

• Joined Nov 2012
Re: cleaning an incubator
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 09:22:20 am »
I clean mine with a weak solution of bleach or milton (babies bottle stuff), take everything apart and give it a good going over.  When l first had it i did not clean it just wiped it over because it had not had any chicks in so it was clean enough for me.  I also run it for an hour after cleaning with milton water in the bottom so the humidity gets everywhere.  Good luck.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 09:24:19 am »
I may be told off by more knowledgeable people, but I just use kitchen spray and warm soapy water to thoroughly wash and then rinse.
I used to put kitchen pepper under the eggs three days before hatching to facilitate cleaning, but worry that this might alter humidity as it relies on evaporation from trays underneath the eggs.

NicandChic

• Joined Oct 2013
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 09:26:17 am »
I use Hibiscrub for washing most stuff.

Good luck with your hatch  :)

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 09:29:13 am »
I also use Milton's as it's easily available and I reckon if you can do babies' bottles with it, it can't be too dreadful.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 10:03:46 am »
We use an egg sanitizer solution for both the incubator and the surface of the eggs (Chicktec and Brinsea). Not that many places sell it though and usually at a silly price. Milton's sounds like a good idea and it should be safe on the eggs as long as the solution is warmer than the egg.

bumpkins

• Joined Apr 2013
  • North Petherton, Somerset
  • Don't wait for your ship to come in-swim out to it
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 10:54:19 am »
Thank you everyone!  That's brilliant.  I have some Milton and also have egg sanitizer.   :thumbsup:
Yes - fingers crossed for a good hatching rate - this is the first time that I have ever tried it :fc:
bye for now
Catherine

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 11:04:21 am »
anti-bac spray

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS