Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Best way to dispacth  (Read 6839 times)

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
Re: Best way to dispacth
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2014, 12:22:46 am »
It seemed more about technique than strength to me. We did an 18 month old cockerel (bit Orp), a drake and a duck. I'm a strapping lass and did the duck which required no strength at all. My friend is petite but demonstrated first on the big cockerel and it didn't look like she had any problems with him - and then she accidentally decapitated the drake with a click that was slightly too strong. The main problem would seem to be with a very long bird like a turkey or goose where you're trying to reach over to pick up the legs at the same time as balancing on the broomstick, bit like twister.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2014, 06:52:01 am »
From having used the air pistol we can now tell if death is instant or just stunned and bled or suffocated. The body goes into tremors immediately if it is killed instantly. If not it just goes limp and the tremors start a short while later. Our wall mounted despatcher appears to kill instantly, regardless of the bad press about the head living for a time afterwards. But the air weapon remains our method of choice.

Air pistol and particularly an air rifle needs some care. Whilst despatching a crazy young TNN hen I shot myself in the finger. The pellet went right through the skull and into my hand which was holding her head still.

Steven Dinnage

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2014, 07:11:14 am »
I think this 1st year of culling ill use a cone of feedbag to restrain them then shoot them. Is there a way to tell that your definitively done the job? Also all my chicken are hyrbrid layers such as leghorn etc etc will they probley be good eating quailty at 16 weeks?

Slimjim

• Joined Apr 2013
  • North Devon
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2014, 07:35:30 am »
.22 air rifle every time. Better with 2 but can be done by yourself though a bit awkward.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2014, 09:13:58 am »
I liked using an air riffle to the head followed by sharp axe to cut head off. I read on here last year that sometimes it can miss the brain. I didn't believe this when I read it, given that I shoot rabbits and pigeons at range and they die.
I was sickened when I had a large cock who was not knocked unconscious by the pellet and my air riffle is a single shot, so had to quickly decapitate rather than reload. It was still over within seconds, but not good, and think its worth making people aware. I read that it can happen because the vital areas of brain are very small?

I have gone back to thump with back of axe rolled by sharp edge... Wearing my oilskin waterproofs.

Ideation

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2014, 09:59:32 am »
To whoever asked. I tuck the bird under my arm, and use my other hand to clap them across the base of the skull / back of kneck. No dramas.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2014, 11:12:33 am »
I use a metal rebar slightly thinner than a broomstick. Need to be on firm surface too. Very effective and doesn't require strength if technique right but I did our first lot with somebody showing me how to do it.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2014, 11:23:43 am »
My rough rule of thumb is broomstick method for chickens and ducks, air rifle for geese and turkeys. Broomstick is quick and easy and doesn't require much strength at all - I've taught lots of people how to do it and never had anyone who couldn't manage it physically.

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2014, 01:42:04 pm »
You can also get those poultry dispatcher things which are a bolt gun basically. I would imagine that would be a good method in conjunction with a cone.

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2014, 01:55:59 pm »
For those of you who use an air rifle: would that be the best option for turkeys? I want to keep turkeys but I want to know more about despatching them before I get any. I do chickens with the broomstick method but turkeys are just too big  ;)

MKay

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2014, 02:22:20 pm »
With Turkey's we stun/kill with 2" .410 shot pistol cartridge and then lop off the head with hedge pruners that way they bleed out nicely which is better for evisceration.

Every member of the UK population has the RIGHT under law to a shotgun certificate and you can get a single shot .410 pistol on a SC. This is a very useful tool to have on a Smallholding if you keep any mammal of fowl bigger than a chicken.

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2014, 04:43:49 pm »
I have a large old Aylesbury duck that needs dispatching, she is struggling to walk so have her in a run on her own with food and water but after a week she is not getting any better, I have an air rifle which we use for the chickens do you think that would be ok or should we use the 410.
Anne

MKay

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2014, 05:43:52 pm »
If she's a pet give her a drug overdose, if you want to eat her use the .410, use a small cartridge mind 2" max. Sand bag or large plant pot of soil underneath if you have rocky ground. Have lopping shears ready to decap and bleed out.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS