Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: kindest way to see off big ginge  (Read 4428 times)

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
kindest way to see off big ginge
« on: April 22, 2014, 03:38:12 pm »
Big ginge is ancient. Our first ever hen, delivered in a cardboard box by my sister in law the day we moved in. And she was old then and that was 5 years ago. She's rarely if ever produced an egg but she has been a legend, top of the pecking order and treated with reverence by all subsequent arrivals. But sadly no longer.  She has become wobbly on her aged legs and has now been shoved to the lowest rank. Her comb shows the scars of much disrespect and last night she was being battered by the previous bottom of the heap, beryl- seeming ttotally incapable of defending herself or getting away. We feel its time to do the decent thing and send the poor girl on her way. Although I'm not unfamiliar with dispatching poorly hens by pulling their necks it just feels so wrong to do that to ginge. Stupid question I'm sure but any other options for a more dignified exit for the poor old girl ?

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
Re: kindest way to see off big ginge
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 03:42:39 pm »
neck stretch is quick and kind...

if it helps say a prayer for her as you do it!!!

sounds like she has had a very good life :-)

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 06:01:59 pm »
if it helps say a prayer for her as you do it!!!

I always apologise to mine for what I am about to do.  :roflanim:

I find the broomstick is best if you are not confident with the neck pull.  I always find the bird is calmer and they are finished before they know whats going on.

I stand with one foot on the 'broomstick' which lifts it up. Hold the bird by the feet. Then slide the birds head underneath the wood. They naturally lift their head.  Now step on the other part of the wood and pull.  Not too hard its not necessary.

If you cant beat 'em then at least bugger 'em about a bit.

AndynJ

• Joined Sep 2010
  • uk
  • Says it as it is. don't like it don't look
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 07:47:46 pm »
Wait until she is in the driveway and go for it, you can convince yourself it was just an accident.
Get someone else to do it

Whatever you do good luck

NicandChic

• Joined Oct 2013
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 08:00:47 pm »
Wait until she is in the driveway and go for it, you can convince yourself it was just an accident.
Get someone else to do it

Whatever you do good luck

Oh that made me laugh.

Devonlad - You could just pop to the vets and get her euthanised!

AndynJ

• Joined Sep 2010
  • uk
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 08:34:34 pm »
Last minute thought put her in a pen with 1/2 dozen cockerels, either just the thought of 6 of them will finish her off, or the exercise will, either way what a way to go  :roflanim:

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 09:10:32 pm »
I agree with NicandChic - we're in the expensive Home Counties and even here it only costs little to have a chicken euthanised.

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 10:06:50 pm »
had to grin at your suggestions Andy. think a vet trip might be the preferred option for the old girl , thanks as always everyone

AndynJ

• Joined Sep 2010
  • uk
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 05:06:55 am »
glad my suggestions were taken the way they were mean't on a serious note we have the big chicken vet at Exmouth, you could take her for a day out or there vets are always out and about, the service is eggceptional

Good luck

MKay

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2014, 02:32:28 pm »
If you have any meloxicam (loxicom/metacam) for dogs sheep cattle etc give her a good dose ie 10x her weight and she will just drift off to sleep and never return.TThat's what I use for pet poultry euthanasia. Much nicer for you and her. Again a good thing for the pet poultry keeper to have in. Alternativly, human opiates/ betablockers/sleeping pills- ground and dissolved.

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2014, 07:22:58 pm »
actually your idea sounds more like I was thinking of mkay. we've got metacam for dogs so thinking that might be the way to go.we've moved her with her old mate bobble to a little run out the way of the bullies and will need to do something later in the week when not so busy at work

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2014, 08:26:03 pm »
If you have any meloxicam (loxicom/metacam) for dogs sheep cattle etc give her a good dose ie 10x her weight and she will just drift off to sleep and never return.TThat's what I use for pet poultry euthanasia. Much nicer for you and her. Again a good thing for the pet poultry keeper to have in. Alternativly, human opiates/ betablockers/sleeping pills- ground and dissolved.

I wouldn't recommend this. It is a NSAID drug which can cause liver and kidney failure which isn't a nice way to go and the amount of ulceration in the guts with overdose will surely be painful. If you cannot do the poultry slaughter as per defra then euthanasia would be the kindest method.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2014, 10:32:10 pm »
My dad used to use ether for our pets when their time was up. Put them in a sealed box with a good dose of it and euthanized them that way - peacefully. But he did have free access to it as a chemistry teacher! Our vets will euthanize for free and you can take them away for ceremony & burial. Which reminds me, my son once came home from school with another of his great creations using large numbers of cardboard boxes. One of them was from a vet with a little plaque on it for a much loved hamster. Obviously the teacher was less fussed!

MKay

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2014, 11:07:43 am »
It would cause liver of kidney failure if the dose is not sufficiently lethal or during chronic poisoning. Opiates would be best, ie tramadol or betablockers but it is usually meloxicam that is available. I appreciate it is not designed for the task but I have used it successfully.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS