Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What's It Like Around Banffshire?  (Read 2782 times)

Mickey

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Dumfries & Galloway
What's It Like Around Banffshire?
« on: April 22, 2014, 02:46:41 pm »
We've been looking for a small place to keep a few sheep, chickens and pigs, nothing too grand.  Happy to find a small house with about 5 acres.  Whilst we are busy searching I am wondering if anyone knows what it is like in Banffshire, just south of the Highlands between Aberdeen and Inverness.  What is the weather like etc.

Thanks for any advice.
Mickey

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: What's It Like Around Banffshire?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 04:26:06 pm »
It's drier than further west but if you are up high it can get quite cold. The growing season is fairly short this far north.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 05:03:33 pm »
Snow in winter... lots of it.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 05:55:07 pm »
i think its beautiful, there were dolphins swimming past the beach last time we were there. im not sure how many jobs there are, but there are beautiful walks and historic houses. quaint little fishing villages. still within distance of thainstone agricultural mart and aberdeen.
where are you coming from?

Mickey

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 11:00:18 pm »
Coming up from Cheshire, we had been looking at Dumfries & Galloway but have now extended that to include anywhere in Scotland.  We love the look of the Highland homes built with the large stones although the Home Reports that we have seen have marked those thick walls down due to their lack of insulation.  We have seen similar style buildings near Inverness hence a recent look at the area between Aberdeen and Inverness.   

Carasine

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 11:04:37 pm »
Gets lots of sunshine (the Moray Coast generally ranks as one of the UK's sunniest areas)
But yes, the growing season is still quite short, with (as Anke says) a v. high chance of snow in winter, obviously milder near the coast.

Ideation

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 11:08:27 pm »
Don't worry, with global warming and the number of English folk moving up there, it'll soon be just like the home counties lol.

marka

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Moray, NE Scotland
  • www.facebook.com/WellsideCroft
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 11:06:16 am »
Mickey,

We decided to move to Scotland 2 years ago from the North West and initially we were looking at the Dumfries area ( we have close friends who live there ( and we spent a lot of time looking at properties / for jobs whilst we waited for our house to sell - we then discovered the North East of Scotland and moved up to Keith last November.

We do seem to get a lot of sun and in comparison to the North West of England, the average rainfall is less up here ( according to the Met office averages ). Not sure about the snow yet as we have had a very mild winter.

Job oppurtunities seem to be quite good, helped by Aberdeen being the oil capital of course, the tourism industry in the summer months and the whisky industry.

There are fabulous beaches close to hand and you have the Cairngorm's on your doorstep.

You also get excellent value for money in terms of property prices, especially ones with land.

In short, I highly recommend the area - if you need any more info, pm me as Im more than happy to help.

Regards

Mark
Castlemilk Moorit sheep and Belted Galloway cattle, plus other hangers on.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 01:03:56 pm »
I love living in the north east of Scotland. The weather; sun days and proper winters, community, land, wildlife, lack of people (don't tell everyone it's nice), Aberdeen city, (Not too fond of dundee) the hills and beaches, is lovely. I feel lucky to live here every day.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2014, 02:59:44 pm »
I love living in the north east of Scotland. The weather; sun days and proper winters, community, land, wildlife, lack of people (don't tell everyone it's nice), Aberdeen city, (Not too fond of dundee) the hills and beaches, is lovely. I feel lucky to live here every day.

Whit! Dundee's a great city! Love it. And Angus generally.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2014, 03:59:40 pm »

Whit! Dundee's a great city! Love it. And Angus generally.

Angus is lovely, though I have to disagree on Dundee having worked there for 5 years [need a shudder emoticon here  ;) ]
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS